Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spain ...part 2...  (Read 673 times)

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRx Cobalt blue
  • City / Town: Holmefirth
Re: Spain ...part 2...
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »
Hello Peeps !

Thanks for all your time to give me some sound advice !

I already have a double USB adaptor for the 'just I case moments/you never know ' but I don't know whether to have the sat nav hard wired or just run it off the USB....thinking hardwired would be better ..still leaves 2 USB connectors free.

Already have bluetooth headsets...thinking of downloading some books for thr GF to listen to...hopefully keep her out of my ear so to speak ! I have  got a 32gig micro SD card in my phone with around 50 rabdom albums already loaded !

yes we have a cabin booked both ways.
I have a 30 litre Kriega dry sack which i use daily (saves my top box getting battered......on my last bike some one tried breaking into it whilst i was working )my plan is to put our 'overnight' stuff in the Kriega and attach it to the top on my top box- easily unclips and can be used as a shoulder bag.

Have thought about locking our helmets onto the bike - just worried that they will get bashed about - any suggestions.....

And of course I will post pictures.....goes without saying

Thanks again

SBT  :821:

3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 07:16:56 PM »
The car deck is secure. No-one allowed there between sailing and docking.  So dont worry about helmets. Hide the satnav though, too easy to nick!

The straps they use to secure the bikes are a bit brutal. If youve got a fancy seat, you could work out some protection for it. The crew do cover your seat with a foam pad, but the seat can still get a bit squished.

I love the conversations you strike up on a boat. The last time, i was talking to retired prison officer about the difference between male and female prisons. He was a GS rider, but no-one's perfect.

*Originally Posted by stealingbacktime [+]
Hello Peeps !

Thanks for all your time to give me some sound advice !

I already have a double USB adaptor for the 'just I case moments/you never know ' but I don't know whether to have the sat nav hard wired or just run it off the USB....thinking hardwired would be better ..still leaves 2 USB connectors free.

Already have bluetooth headsets...thinking of downloading some books for thr GF to listen to...hopefully keep her out of my ear so to speak ! I have  got a 32gig micro SD card in my phone with around 50 rabdom albums already loaded !

yes we have a cabin booked both ways.
I have a 30 litre Kriega dry sack which i use daily (saves my top box getting battered......on my last bike some one tried breaking into it whilst i was working )my plan is to put our 'overnight' stuff in the Kriega and attach it to the top on my top box- easily unclips and can be used as a shoulder bag.

Have thought about locking our helmets onto the bike - just worried that they will get bashed about - any suggestions.....

And of course I will post pictures.....goes without saying

Thanks again

SBT  :821:

--------
If not now, when?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
"I already have a double USB adaptor for the 'just I case moments/you never know ' but I don't know whether to have the sat nav hard wired or just run it off the USB....thinking hardwired would be better ..still leaves 2 USB connectors free."

USB is only 5v and may not keep your Sat Nav charged and running at the same time depending on what you are doing with it. If you want something non permanent buy a DIN connector with screw terminals and wire the supplied Sat Nav cable to that, then just plug it into the front 12v DIN socket. I have been doing that for months in all weather, no problems.

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 09:36:37 PM »
I'm a cheapskate - I have an old car type sat Nav - a Tom Tom Via - cost me £90 - yep its limited in the route planning but I like ot do some of that myself on google mps before leving and then have a set route each day. Anyway - it works off the USB no problem - been all over Europe with it - it withstands vibration and a certain amount of water - once it gets halfway up the screen it usally turns off !!! I let it dry out and it re- :001:powers up - amazing !!

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »
If you want to see smoke watch my old Suzuki GT550 start up after a few weeks - your lucky to see Lancashire !!!  :008:

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRx Cobalt blue
  • City / Town: Holmefirth
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »
now here's a thing...just been reading about the new upgrade for our TFT screens which will have a sat nav function. The sat nav will be  run by google maps - I have never used google maps for starters but I am now wondering do I spend around £400+ on a tomtom 550 or use the new function on my tiger ? ? ?

thoughts...…..
3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by stealingbacktime [+]
now here's a thing...just been reading about the new upgrade for our TFT screens which will have a sat nav function. The sat nav will be  run by google maps - I have never used google maps for starters but I am now wondering do I spend around £400+ on a tomtom 550 or use the new function on my tiger ? ? ?

thoughts...…..
Both have their respective good points. If you want to go from A to B Google Maps perfect. It is also very easy to find all sorts of locations based on a google search, e.g. a business which a Sat Nav won't have a record of. However, if you want to plan a route for a trip or tour, going via a bunch of specific roads and share the route file with your buddies Sat Nav the only way to go.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:54:26 AM by XCaTel »

Offline Travelman

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: KTM Superduke/ FJR
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 02:17:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
To underline to whats been said about leaving bike gear on the bike & having one bag to take to the cabin.......they ask you to leave your cabin before the ferry's even docked so keep hand luggage to a minimum 'coz you'll be sat around in a corridor with it all for half an hour or more. Wait as long as you can to go down to the bike as it will be hot, sweaty & unpleasant down there. And don't add to the stifling atmosphere by starting your engine until the last minute - its amazing the number of t**ts who fire up their bikes & slowly fill the hold with fumes because they think they'll get off quicker!

But also don't underestimate the speed with which the bikes can be allowed to move. Every time I've used the ferry, without exception, there's been a few twats not down in time to move their bikes, causing huge obstacle courses for those trying to disembark.
I know we have no free will, but I enjoy the delusion

Recent Topics