Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Keyless Ignition  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200xcx
Re: Keyless Ignition
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 11:08:40 PM »
I’m a bit confused now!!  :187:

....can you start the bike with the spare keys? They have no battery, or do they?

Offline neilacwilson

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 no3
  • City / Town: North London
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 11:51:45 PM »
Coops: apologies in advance if you already know all this...

In case your dealer didn't explain properly at the hand over, your remote fob has a range of about 1 metre (arms length) from the transponder, located under the rider seat on the left hand side. The bike will only start if the fob is within this range. If you stop the engine but leave the dash powered e.g. when filling up with fuel, the dash will go into auto shutdown shortly after you walk more than a metre away to pay. You'll see the DRL/dipped lights go off.

If your fob gets lost (as mine did) you can still start with the emergency key. It has an embedded, programmable chip that will communicate with the transponder but only at very short range. You can have up to three keys programmed to the bike - e.g. your fob and two spares supplied with the bike. I now have two fobs and one spare programmed.

It's worth familiarising yourself with the emergency key recovery procedure so you don't panic when you need to use it for real!

With the bike idling, switch off your fob and put it away somewhere far from the bike. This will simulate a lost fob scenario. Switch off the bike with the kill switch so that the dash closes down too. Hold the emergency key flat against the frame on the left hand side just below the rider seat. There is a flat area on the frame here where the key will be able to rest against it. While doing this, begin the start sequence as normal using the kill switch on the right hand handlebar. The dash should power up and then the engine start as normal and you're good to go. You will get a 'fob out of range' message on the dash but the engine will continue run until you stop it. Repeat the procedure to re-start the engine.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:53:17 PM by neilacwilson »

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 01:38:13 AM »
Wow Neilacwilson that is news to me. Here I was thinking the fob was the only key that could start the bike. And the blade keys that came with the bike were useless. I know I know I should have read my owners manuel. Good stuff  :046:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by neilacwilson [+]
It's worth familiarising yourself with the emergency key recovery procedure so you don't panic when you need to use it for real!

With the bike idling, switch off your fob and put it away somewhere far from the bike. This will simulate a lost fob scenario. Switch off the bike with the kill switch so that the dash closes down too. Hold the emergency key flat against the frame on the left hand side just below the rider seat. There is a flat area on the frame here where the key will be able to rest against it. While doing this, begin the start sequence as normal using the kill switch on the right hand handlebar. The dash should power up and then the engine start as normal and you're good to go. You will get a 'fob out of range' message on the dash but the engine will continue run until you stop it. Repeat the procedure to re-start the engine.

As I'm not a fan of keyless ignition I wonder if it's best to leave the keyless fob at home and always use the emergency key method to start the bike? And is it possible to get a spare emergency key as back up?

Offline neilacwilson

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 no3
  • City / Town: North London
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »
Will Morgan: yes, you certainly could use the bike in this way although, personally, I would become irritated with the 'fob out of range' error message appearing on the dash all the time. You should already have two, programmed spares.

Getting another emergency key from Triumph as a backup would be rather cheaper than a replacement fob. Triumph will supply you with a pre-cut, replacement key for your VIN. Your dealer will still need to program this new key to the bike (about 30 minutes to 1 hour of workshop time) and you would need to take all your existing programmed keys to the dealer so that your new, nominated group of three can be paired.

NB: if you just want a dumb "fuel key" any decent (automotive) key cutter should be able to cut the blank (as it is one of those awkward, recessed profiles).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:56:37 AM by neilacwilson »

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 05:45:30 PM »
Shame - exactly the sort of thing thats a bloody nuisance - please complain to Triumph directly and hopefully one day they will lsiten - sorry apologies for the soapbox rant but i would like to change my bike one day   
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200xcx
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 12:08:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by neilacwilson [+]
Coops: apologies in advance if you already know all this...

In case your dealer didn't explain properly at the hand over, your remote fob has a range of about 1 metre (arms length) from the transponder, located under the rider seat on the left hand side. The bike will only start if the fob is within this range. If you stop the engine but leave the dash powered e.g. when filling up with fuel, the dash will go into auto shutdown shortly after you walk more than a metre away to pay. You'll see the DRL/dipped lights go off.

If your fob gets lost (as mine did) you can still start with the emergency key. It has an embedded, programmable chip that will communicate with the transponder but only at very short range. You can have up to three keys programmed to the bike - e.g. your fob and two spares supplied with the bike. I now have two fobs and one spare programmed.

Thanks for really useful info and whilst my dealer mentioned the spare keys, he did t really explain it properly. That’s not a criticism as he’s a decent chap.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 02:50:43 PM »

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
Had all sorts of starting and door unlocking problems with an older Nissan Qashqai car, replaced the battery and everything was fine, the fobs definitely lose range as they run down as others have said.
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »
Hands up anyone who thinks keyless ignition is a pain in the ass and totally unnecessary. I certainly do as I have it on one of my bikes. Wtf was wrong with a key especially when one has to carry around the fob one way or another.  :084:

Recent Topics

nonskid