Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Next gen TFT  (Read 1999 times)

Hawk281, Gazza13 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Next gen TFT
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by nuttySweeet [+]
this is the first time I've seen this kind of technology properly implemented on a motorbike.
The keyword is "properly".
Seeing that the current software left me stranded for 6+ weeks, I think I'm entitled to have doubts regarding the quality of the implementation...

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 10:24:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
The keyword is "properly".
Seeing that the current software left me stranded for 6+ weeks, I think I'm entitled to have doubts regarding the quality of the implementation...

Fair enough that's understandable. But it's also fair to say that the vast majority of new Gen 3 owners have not experienced the issue you have, which means it was likely an isolated incident. Quality control is never perfect and some bad pieces of kit ultimately end up in somebody's bike.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 11:47:29 AM »
I get the point of being an isolated incident. My concern is the way Triumph managed it.
6+ weeks is not consistent with due diligence or/and mastery of their own product.
And adding software features simply increases the probablity of incidents.
Hence my prophecy of doom ;-)

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
I get the point of being an isolated incident. My concern is the way Triumph managed it.
6+ weeks is not consistent with due diligence or/and mastery of their own product.

Yeah, but it's shiny  :008: In for a penny in for a pound.

Online Benchmark

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »

Just do the sensible thing with any new software updates be it bike, computer, phones etc, don't rush to get it and wait for others to iron out all the bugs before going with it  :018:

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
The issues I would have with the integrated are

From the pictures it looks like the directions will be quite small in the corner of the screen - no good with my failing eyesight  :007: :007:

When I am on my bike I dont want to ride the quickest or shortest route to my destination. I want to ride down particular roads and with Garmin I can do the planning in basecamp and then transfer a route to my device. Whenever I have tried this with google maps and sent the route to another device it always reverts to quickest route between the waypoints.

Other than that it all looks good especially that it can be retro fitted

4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 09:08:11 PM »
The size of the print is a concern for me too.  Have the same issue with my TomTom 400, print is kinda small.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Benchmark [+]
Just do the sensible thing with any new software updates be it bike, computer, phones etc, don't rush to get it and wait for others to iron out all the bugs before going with it  :018:
This used to be the right thing to do.
However, I would fail to exhibit any proof of it.
Almost every software release now has new bugs along with removing the old ones. There are scientific clues (not proof) of that: from a given level of complexity upward, bugs are bound to happen. This doesn't occur in mechanical systems because they don't process ten of thousands of possible configurations.

Don't get me wrong: I'm a computer scientist and I love using daily technologies, but I'm starting to think that the tradeoff (new features vs. reliability) which works for phones or computers might not suit vehicles so well. It's a matter of consequences. Having your iPhone randomly rebooting in the middle of an email conversation is not the same as having your brand new XRT dying in the middle of a dangerous road situation.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
Almost every software release now has new bugs along with removing the old ones.
I don't think that this is a new phenomenon. Does anyone else remember Microsoft's unofficial slogan, "DOS isn't done until Lotus doesn't run"?  As long as there have been software updates, there have been new bugs introduced. Two steps forward, one step back.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 04:28:28 PM »
Well, I wouldn't take Micro$oft's history of bugs as a reference. They've always been breaking new grounds in this (ok, that's polemic ;-).
And again, there is a very old and efficient procedure called "non regression tests" which goal is to avoid distributing a release having created new bugs. For such a huge pile of complexity as an operating system, I can hear the task doesn't sound realistic, but for a bike? Come on!

Recent Topics

nonskid