Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Used Oil Analysis. 10k interval. 2014 Triumph Explorer 20k miles  (Read 1250 times)

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
Re: Used Oil Analysis. 10k interval. 2014 Triumph Explorer 20k miles
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 10:32:59 PM »
Its chea[p enough ot change evey 5 or 6 k - why risk it ?? :002:

Offline ssundet

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 14 TIGER 1200
  • City / Town: Texas
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 03:19:03 AM »
I understand what you mean, but I don't see any risk to consider lowering an oci when it can extend far past manufacture recommendations.  I'm not scared to follow manufacturer and petrochemical engineering recommendations especially with independent laboratory verification.  If you want to, go for it.  I spring for ethanol free fuel instead which isn't much more expensive here.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 04:24:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by ssundet [+]
I spring for ethanol free fuel instead which isn't much more expensive here.
:0461:#MeToo
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 08:16:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
#methree
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]

its not available in my state, but I buy it whenever I can when Im traveling out of state ...corn fuel is a conspiracy..... :001:

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »
I am an engineer by trade so I like my data.  I use the labs to verify that it can do 10K because I know after the engineering department comes out with their data and marketing, sales and bean counters come out with their take on the data. 

(I know the oil needs changed at 8K miles but 76% of the people will change based on time because they are at one year time and 96% of the remaining ones that go over will be out of warranty by the time a problem occurs.  We have a possibility of 4% warranty repairs we will need to cover by going with 10K oil changes but the ability to say 10K oil changes will gives us a 8% increase in sales that will cover the cost and we look good to the environmental groups and makes us look better than the competition.)     Those are the discussions that go on in big business, engineering is never the last say in the design. 

On a side note I am one of the people who run ethanol and never have had an issue.  It has been around for 30 years where I am from and it has been run in equipment from the 50s to modern without a problem.  I store my chainsaw, log splitter, mower, and leaf blower wet and have not had a problem.   

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
On a side note I am one of the people who run ethanol and never have had an issue.  It has been around for 30 years where I am from and it has been run in equipment from the 50s to modern without a problem.  I store my chainsaw, log splitter, mower, and leaf blower wet and have not had a problem.
Ethanol can absorb water vapor out of the air and damage fuel lines and fuel tank linings or cause rust in unlined fuel tanks. It turned the tank liner in my '96 R1100R to goo. It is particularly hard on older bikes that are wet stored for extended periods of time. It clogs up carburetors in small engines.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics