Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Used Oil Analysis. 10k interval. 2014 Triumph Explorer 20k miles  (Read 748 times)

Offline ssundet

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 14 TIGER 1200
  • City / Town: Texas
Used Oil Analysis. 10k interval. 2014 Triumph Explorer 20k miles
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:31:34 AM »
Hello All,

Got a Used Oil Analysis from Blackstone laboratories and I am posting to share the knowledge

The sample was taken by the dealer after I hit 20,000 miles on my 2014 Triumph Explorer 1200.  (UOA sample taken at the dealer just before they performed the first valve adjustment, fyi 4 out of 12 valves out of spec, tight, all exhaust valves). 

10,000 mile UOA interval on Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W40 (which has a fresh TBN of 9.8).  Changed to 10W50 after this.  Should help with the shearing and this Texas heat.
Nearly every mile on this motorcycle has been ridden very hard, a lot of offroading, redlining, and it is still a joy.  Runs great.

Kind Regards.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:35:19 AM by ssundet »

Online Hax

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '19 XRX
Re: Used Oil Analysis. 10k interval. 2014 Triumph Explorer 20k miles
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
Makes interesting reading. Oil takes a pounding with the gearbox duty and clutch wear.
I work in an industry that uses both periodic and condition servicing of machines so can see the advantages of both.
For me, I'd rather change the oil and filter more regular keeping things sweet than stretch intervals.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »
My OCD won't let me go more than  ~3000 miles on an  oil change...... :001:

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:23:12 PM »
mmm 3k oil changes is even more paranoid than me !!!  :001:

I run to 5 or 6k and use 10w 40 semi synthetic - never had a problem with any of my bikes in terms of major engine issues

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
mmm 3k oil changes is even more paranoid than me !!!  :001:

I run to 5 or 6k and use 10w 40 semi synthetic - never had a problem with any of my bikes in terms of major engine issues

LOL, yeah, its a sickness...I run full synthetic Motul and  still change it at 3k......in my defense though, I use the waste oil from my bikes in my lawn equipment and old cars.....:)

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:02:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
LOL, yeah, its a sickness...I run full synthetic Motul and  still change it at 3k......in my defense though, I use the waste oil from my bikes in my lawn equipment and old cars.....:)
Haha - I hope so - fully synethic in 3k miles - it must be like brand new LOL !!  :001:

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 06:08:06 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  I have a hard time going the full 10K without a change so I have been working up to it.  I posted in another thread a UOA at 5K and I am now going for 7.5K per their recommendation. 

The new oils and the better metallurgy really help make the oils last longer.  I still remember the SE oil in my 70 Nova SS would be jet black at 500 miles and now checking the oil at 3K in my 2014 Explorer it is the same color as what comes out of the bottle.

I have noticed that they don't seem to really care when the oil shears out of grade.  I am guessing that they are just waiting for the metals to really climb before they say it needs to be changed. 

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 11:09:20 PM »
Not even my Triumph service center recommends going the full 10k, even if I’m doing the changes myself. I figured if they were milking me for $75 each time they change the oil, they’d obviously say do it sooner, but I do my own. Well, I have once!  Mine has 27,000 now and the shop did the 500, and 10k. The second change actually had about 9,400 on it and they said it looked bad. I think they used the word “muck” to describe it. That was with the OEM specified Castrol synthetic. At 17k or so I changed it again before a road trip and the shop changed it at the 20k service interval. Then, at 23k I had the infamous gear problem which the shop fixed under warranty and it got another oil change. I’m going to change it soon even though it’s only got about 4K mikes on it. I don’t think I’ll be taking it in for the 30k service since I will be paying for that out of pocket. We’ll see though.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 03:23:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by FL_Explorer [+]
Not even my Triumph service center recommends going the full 10k, even if I’m doing the changes myself. I figured if they were milking me for $75 each time they change the oil, they’d obviously say do it sooner, but I do my own. Well, I have once!  Mine has 27,000 now and the shop did the 500, and 10k. The second change actually had about 9,400 on it and they said it looked bad. I think they used the word “muck” to describe it. That was with the OEM specified Castrol synthetic. At 17k or so I changed it again before a road trip and the shop changed it at the 20k service interval. Then, at 23k I had the infamous gear problem which the shop fixed under warranty and it got another oil change. I’m going to change it soon even though it’s only got about 4K mikes on it. I don’t think I’ll be taking it in for the 30k service since I will be paying for that out of pocket. We’ll see though.
You really need to get an analysis done for how YOU ride your bike.   How and where you ride will determine how long the oil is going to last. 

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 09:18:11 AM »
I could or I could just stick to a 5-6k oil change interval. There shouldn’t be any issue that way.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Recent Topics

nonskid