Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: African tour: Morocco - Western Sahara - Mauritania - Senegal  (Read 312 times)

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
African tour: Morocco - Western Sahara - Mauritania - Senegal
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:03:38 PM »
Hi!

Just arrived from my last trip down Africa. It's been over 6000km in absolutly all kind of roads/paths, with all kind of weather... Even a terrible rain storm in the Western Sahara  :187:

It's been a really hard trip, full of problems. At first, all my credit cards got f***d up when passing the Morocco border, leaving me without money, so I had to made Western Union's transfers all over the way.

My initial idea was passing to Gambia & Guinea, but had a problem with mi visa to Guinea, so I could no got in. There was a problem with my passavant, the riding permission for Senegal, as a Border policeman sold me an "special" passavant for 7 days (nomaml passavant is for 3 days, and you have to renew it for other 3 days at Dakar). When trying to get into Gambia, I discovered that it was illegal, so after a big penalty had to leave the country by the same border I got in. It was more than 700km in one day and, belive me, that's a lot for Senegal roads...

At the end, when crossing Mauritania, a big hole on the road literally destroyed my front wheel, so I had to ride over 2000km stopping every 50km to pump up air on it. A really hard experience.

Over all this, the trip has been INCREDIBLE. Riding from desert to almost jungle, crossing several national parks, where cocodriles, hippopotames, facocheros, monkeys where around me. The african people are absolutly amazing, helping me whenever I need.

Explorer's perfomance has been GREAT, even when I got stucked in sand almost every day

An incredible experience...

Here are some pictures:

Waiting for the ferry from Spain to Morocco

An old boat, sinked in front of Sahara desert.

Camels advice in Sahara desert.

On my way through the Sahara. Fuel stations and cities are so far away that I had to take an extra 5litres petrol can

Hundreds and hundreds of... Nothing. But desert is incredible...

Crossing the Tropic.

Western Sahara is now in peace, but it has been under war conflict for years.

Africa's nature is absolutly amazing

Camping at famous Zebra Bar, near St. Louis, Senegal. Amazing place.

There was a dead cow next to the road with hundreds of "little" birds eating it

Beautiful bay, with a sad history. From this port, spanish people took black slaves to America.

Fishery is the Senegal's principal occupation in the coast. It's a traditional float.

National parks where amazing.

Senegal is divided by big rivers. Absolutly amazing... Cocodriles, hippopotames, all kind of birds... Tourism is developing quickly, and there are incredible "all-included" hotels, like this one

After riding for over 10 hours, a beer "Gazelle" and this place was absolutly great.

Even when it was the dry motnh, monzon rains are ocassional, leaving the roads really funny to cross...

Stopping to buy my dinner. It's a really cheap country, but food is not great. Rice & chicken has been my food many times, so fruits where like a miracle...

Senegal's people are INCREDIBLE. Always helpful, coming to me every time I stopped to aks if I was right. This family invited me to sleep at their small village, giving me food for free.

The country is improving quickly, there are a few absolutly great roads... But the rest is under low maintenance.

Badafassi, at south Senegal and only 20km from Guinea, is the most beautiful part of the country. Jungle, hills...

Don't know how it's called in english... It's a ant's nest  :187: "termita"

When you see people living like this... You realice that we are really lucky for what we got.

Dindefello falls, more than 100 meters high, in the middle of a jungle/forest. An incredible place to stay, swim...

Nature... This path was really difficult. Mud and slippery stones, I falled several times

A typicall village

Trying to get to Senegal's highest hill, wich is only 450meters tall. The landscape is not really catched in a picture. It was breathtaking

Covered in dust...

A camel farm...

An stone in the middle of nowhere, full of graffittis

Desert & coast

Sahara light at dawn.

Raining in Western Sahara

An smile that tells my feelings in this trip... HAPPY

Hope you enjoy the pics, and sorry about my english... It's getting rusted after many years ago of living at UK.

P.S.: Next year's trip is Bielorrouse, Russia and Kazajistan...

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:10:44 PM by Lopez »

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: African tour: Morocco - Western Sahara - Mauritania - Senegal
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 10:38:18 PM »
Hi Lopez

All I can say is WOW!

Beautiful photos, wonderful story - you are much more adventurous than I.

Much respect

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 12:16:21 AM »
Inspiring! Thanks for posting. Looks an amazing trip and exactly the type of adventure these great bikes were built for 👍

Offline Jaeger

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 04:32:20 AM »
Bravo :002:

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Hi Lopez

All I can say is WOW!

Beautiful photos, wonderful story - you are much more adventurous than I.

Much respect

Simmo

Thanks, Simmo!

*Originally Posted by TEXICO [+]
Inspiring! Thanks for posting. Looks an amazing trip and exactly the type of adventure these great bikes were built for 👍

Thanks! About the bike... Not at all... In fact, I will probably change it for a Tiger 800. 1200 is good for roads, highways and "civilization" adventures. But it's too heavy, too powerful, too... all!, when getting there. There have been places where I thought "Oh... No, I can not get there, I will be stuck". A lighter bike will be more capable.

*Originally Posted by Jaeger [+]
Bravo :002:

Gracias-  :152:

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »
Well I task my hat off to you. As much as I love my bike and I love to travel, I wound't attempt that on a bike. I've been down that way and it's rough. I've just come back from a month's trip around Russia's Arctic Circle and that beat my truck to bits. We met some guys on 800's and they were almost in tears the going was so hard.

Well done. Maximum respect. It's such a shame that entry and exit into these places can be so tough. It took me 3 hours to get OUT of Russia.

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
Wow what a trip. It looks amazing and glad it worked out okay. :031: :046: :046:

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger Lad [+]
Wow what a trip. It looks amazing and glad it worked out okay. :031: :046: :046:

Borders are the WORST things in these trips. When crossing to Senegal from Mauritania, policemen went to pray at the mosque. After that, they went to eat. That means about 2 1/2 hours waiting for them, with no shadows, in a terrible hot, wearing motorbike suite, with an eye on toyur passport, another eye in the bike, trying not to loose your place in a growing queue where you are the only wihite man... Hard.

And corruption, corruption and corruption. Had to pay for getting to the border "It's a natural park... Help us to keep it". Ok, there goes 15$. Now go to police, ok, stamp in passport? no problem, 10$, sir. Ok, now to aduanes. Oh, sir, you motorbike is great... If you can pay that motorbike, you can help this old policeman with 10$ to get your papers, for sure. And now, visa for you and your bike... Yes, official price is 30$, but sure you can add 20$ and we can do it quickly... Ok, now cross the bridge and go to Gerndarmerie to get your passavant. Oh, sorry, the bridge is 10 meters long, so it's 10$ peage to cross it. And, finally, add another 15$ for... Well... For nothing.

But you are in... Lesss money in your pockets, but that's the way it's. Don't like it? Don't go. It's part of the game...

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 11:58:48 PM »
 :047: :047: :047: :037: :037: :037: :037: :037: :046: :046: :062: :062: :062: :062: :305: :305: :305:

My hero!!! What a pair of big brass b@lls you have to do this trip by yourself. Kudos and amazing pictures, thank you for sharing these. I haven't been this excited to see a ride report in a good while.

Bravo!

:821: :821: :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
Yes, hats off indeed. Magnificent journey!  :046: :152: :037:

Recent Topics