Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adjusting Gear Shift Pedal Height  (Read 592 times)

Offline VonZipper

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Powered by Triumph
  • Bike: '13 Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Baton Rouge, LA
Adjusting Gear Shift Pedal Height
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:35:18 PM »
Got a new pair of boots yesterday and found that I need to raise the height of my gear shift pedal. I've done this many times on my other bikes but they have a simpler design without the connecting rod between the pedal and the actual gear shift mechanism. Not quite sure where to make the.adjustment. So my question is, How do you adjust the height of gear shift pedal on the TEX?

2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 ABS
2010 Triumph Scrambler 900
2007 Kawasaki KLR 650

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
Re: Adjusting Gear Shift Pedal Height
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
There's a threaded rod in the shifter mechanism with 2 lock nuts (one is reverse threaded, look at the exposed threads to determine which.)  Loosen the lock nuts and turn the rod to adjust the height.  Re-tighten the lock nuts.  A small turn makes a big difference.  Don't go to far as to back out the rod from the threads!  Here's a parts diagram:

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2013-triumph-tiger-explorer/o/m155147#sch784378

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 11:18:01 PM »
loosen both lock nuts and turn the rod with your fingers...watch the pedal to see which way its moving...when you have it where you want it, tighten up both locknuts and go for a ride....

Offline VonZipper

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Powered by Triumph
  • Bike: '13 Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 12:05:01 AM »
Thanks Rockitciy and Crosshairs!

I'll go give that a try...

Okay, so I tried to turn the connecting rod but was unsucessful: it just would not turn. I ended up pulling off the gear shift pedal and reinstalled, moving up one spline.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:59:28 AM by VonZipper »
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 ABS
2010 Triumph Scrambler 900
2007 Kawasaki KLR 650

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:17:55 AM »
Not ideal, but if it works for you, ok then. Maybe you need a little WD 40 on the threads?  I found you have to use two wrenches, one on each of the nuts at either end of the adjusting rod and turn them in opposite directions.  If I remember correctly, the bottom one turns clockwise to the connecting rod, and the top one turns anti-clockwise (if viewed from above.) 10mm I think.  I used an open end box wrench, like is used on brake lines.  But you may have your solution already, so go ride!

What kind of boots?  I'm starting to look for a new winter pair myself!

Offline VonZipper

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author