Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine overheating??  (Read 403 times)

Offline Swamprider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 (2017)
  • City / Town: San José
Engine overheating??
« on: November 21, 2018, 05:35:52 PM »
Morning Gents, I have a 2017 XCa Tiger Explorer, I live in Costa Rica.
Temperatures here are up to 30C and traffic in the city is basically at a stand still on peak hours;while riding in town frequent stops and acceleration and stop again and so for a goo 20-30 minutes, I noticed that my temperatur gauge would creep up leaving only two bars from top.
Normally I get 4 to 5 bars but this time it crept up to seven!! (just left two from the rop empry).  I could hear and feel the fan turning and it goes down after a while, I just want to make sure this is ok

Regards,
Patrick

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Engine overheating??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 06:42:01 PM »
I'd say in principle that if the fans cut in and then as the temperature falls they cut out again, then everything is ok. I doubt that the temperature in Hinckley ever gets anywhere close to that so it's not often an engine gets that warm. As long as it holds steady when you're on the move again I'd say it's normal for where you are located. There may be some more sophisticated coolant that is available for hotter climates. I know that waterless coolants work better at higher temperatures - given that water boils at 100 deg C.

If it's getting that hot then really keep a regular eye on your coolant levels as it might be steadily boiling off

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
Not sure it should be getting up to 7 bars. I would be inclined to get the dealer to check for an airlock in the head.

Offline Benchmark

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
given that water boils at 100 deg C.

Yes if its pure and at sea level otherwise there are things that change this. (with altitude (lower air pressure) boiling temp starts to get lower).

A vehicle is pressurised and has anti-freeze which changes this, some mixtures of anti-freeze and the pressurisation can take water boiling temp up to around 130C

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »
That's helpful

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
I'd say in principle that if the fans cut in and then as the temperature falls they cut out again, then everything is ok. I doubt that the temperature in Hinckley ever gets anywhere close to that so it's not often an engine gets that warm. As long as it holds steady when you're on the move again I'd say it's normal for where you are located. There may be some more sophisticated coolant that is available for hotter climates. I know that waterless coolants work better at higher temperatures - given that water boils at 100 deg C.

If it's getting that hot then really keep a regular eye on your coolant levels as it might be steadily boiling off

I've noticed the Triumphs run quite lean and hence on the hot side. Not a bit problem as long as it cools back down again as above !! :001:

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 01:51:18 AM »
If your fan is cutting in and out as described earlier it suggests everything is working perfectly. :028:

If the fan was cutting in but the temp was at the very top and you had steam coming out of the expansion bottle I would say you had a problem.  :005:

Like Benchmark has already said 130c is nothing to worry about on modern day vehicles and the temperatures your riding in I would expect your temp gauge to go up. 

Recent Topics

nonskid