Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Damage to LH crankcase cover  (Read 747 times)

unsubtle and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Tyneside
Damage to LH crankcase cover
« on: November 21, 2018, 09:34:41 PM »
I’ve just had some damage to the front facing edge of the LH crank case cover (alternatively known as Flywheel Cover) on my 2015 TEx. Taking the bike out on Sunday I noticed a bit of oil leaking from the front facing edge of this cover and further inspection revealed some small impact damage which had obviously penetrated right through the cover. I’ve now replaced the cover and taken some photos of the damage to the original. Has anyone else heard of such damage? I’m assuming that it’s been hit by a very pointed stone travelling at a high relative speed so much so that it’s penetrated right through the metal and resulted in oil leaking out.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Damage to LH crankcase cover
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »
That would have to be some heavy stone to break  that cover.... any chance it happened off road and something struck it from below?

Online Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
Never been off-road. If it wasn’t a stone (or some other road debris projectile) then I can’t imagine what caused it. The external depression almost looks like it’s been hit with a centre punch but someone would have to be very devious for it to be deliberate sabotage!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 05:15:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
Never been off-road. If it wasn’t a stone (or some other road debris projectile) then I can’t imagine what caused it. The external depression almost looks like it’s been hit with a centre punch but someone would have to be very devious for it to be deliberate sabotage!
...or a dealer screwed up during the last service?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 08:19:06 AM »
I did wonder about that too. Last service was 20K back in late July and I’ve done about 4000 mile since then. I don’t know if that cover is removed during the 20K service but I suspect not. Also, I did a 2500 mile European trip in early Sept and gave the bike a very thorough clean when I got back. I can’t believe that I would have missed the external damage which is a definite indentation that had removed paint and showed very shiny silver alumimium compared to the grey surface finish of the rest of the cover. It was very apparent once I was drawn to its location by the presence of leaking oil.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »
It would be surprising to me if you had experienced that kind of impact while riding and not notice it.  :003:

Have you ridden the bike off a curb recently?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 04:29:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
It would be surprising to me if you had experienced that kind of impact while riding and not notice it.  :003:

Have you ridden the bike off a curb recently?

I thought the same thing but can’t recall any incident where it might have occurred. Similarly, I don’t recall riding the bike off a curb recently. That doesn’t mean I could say that I’ve never ridden off a curb but if I did then it would be VERY slowly. Anyway, the point of impact is some 45cm from the ground and 20cm above the sump guard which would have been the first casualty of an impact with a curb. The indentation in the exterior of the cover suggests that it was something very pointed that hit it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:34:46 PM by Fazer »

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 08:30:48 PM »
thats very weird - hope you get it sorted ok

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 09:56:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
The indentation in the exterior of the cover suggests that it was something very pointed that hit it.

Not just very pointed but harder than your casting and impacting with significant force/speed.  There's all sorts of metal detritus littering on our roads that could have caused the damage. I guess its very unusual & unlucky for something to get thrown up & do damage like that......but unusual & unlucky doesn't mean impossible.

Online Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
thats very weird - hope you get it sorted ok

All seems OK now. I was concerned that the cover-crankcase joint might leak after installing the new cover but no evidence of any oil after running the engine for an extended period. 😀

Recent Topics