Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Damage to LH crankcase cover  (Read 744 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Damage to LH crankcase cover
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
The indentation in the exterior of the cover suggests that it was something very pointed that hit it.
Then I would suggest that a tack hammer or similar was swung in an upward arc at the casting with the intent to damage the bike. Where do you park it? Anyone complain to you about the bike or where it was parked recently?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Tyneside
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
No - never had any disagreement with anyone about the bike. I park it inside a garage attached to my house when it’s not in use. I did consider the possibility of vandalism but it seems a very devious act to damage an engine cover. The perpetrator would need to know something about bikes to know where to cause such damage. Surely it would be easier to just destroy tyres or headlights, slash the seat material or even just knock the bike over. I still think it’s more likely to have been some road debris that’s become a projectile when thrown up by a tyre, whether mine or a vehicle in front. A few years ago I had a tyre puncture which turned out to have been caused by a 2-3 inch long, 6mm diameter steel bar that embedded itself in the tyre. If that had been thrown up it could feasibly have caused the damage my engine cover sustained.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »
I only bring it up because another forum member had his bike vandalized but a nutty neighbor over a parking disagreement. Still, you can look at the angle of the blow and figure out for yourself whether or not it seems feasible to have been done intentionally with something like a rock hammer or mountaineering tool. The intent might be to cause the engine to lose oil and seize. It could have happened wherever you were the last time you rode it before you noticed the leak.

I looked at a GS once that had similar damage that resulted in the engine seizing. The bike was financed and BMW denied a warranty claim, so the bike was repossessed and put up for auction.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I only bring it up because another forum member had his bike vandalized but a nutty neighbor over a parking disagreement. Still, you can look at the angle of the blow and figure out for yourself whether or not it seems feasible to have been done intentionally with something like a rock hammer or mountaineering tool. The intent might be to cause the engine to lose oil and seize. It could have happened wherever you were the last time you rode it before you noticed the leak.

I looked at a GS once that had similar damage that resulted in the engine seizing. The bike was financed and BMW denied a warranty claim, so the bike was repossessed and put up for auction.

Wow! There are some evil people about! It’s difficult to imagine that someone could intentionally do something like that when such actions would never cross your mind. It is certainly possible that the damage could have been caused deliberately when the bike was left unattended somewhere. Fortunately, I noticed the damage before it had a chance to get worse and drop all the engine oil or cause a safety issue (e.g. oil on the rear tyre). It has cost me the price of a new cover and gasket as well as an hour of my time but all is well now.

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »
Glad to hear its all sorted :001:

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 12:27:27 AM »
I busted a gear linkage riding in rough territory on my 2015 TEx, and didn't realise until I tried to change gear.  -I figure I landed the gear lever on a rock somewhere.
My current car had to have its windscreen replaced soon after buying it new, caused by something thrown up by a passing truck.
I think its paranoia to think the damage was deliberately done.  A heavy sharp object thrown up from the road, is my bet.
Good that you found and repaired it without incident.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 02:30:15 PM »
If it was some sharp road detritus then it is just as well it didn't hit your knee.  :084:

Online Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
Yeh - a few pounds for a new cover hurts, but not as much as a smashed knee!

Recent Topics

nonskid