Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spotted at the NEC yesterday  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: Spotted at the NEC yesterday
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hax [+]
Or just a typo????  :084: shouldn't it be screen?

Yes, it should be, mind you for £20k over 3 years I'd expect an electric lift to get me on and off it and mind-reader gearing, I always know what gear I should be in, just not whether that's the gear I am in  :138:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
Just across the motorway junction The National Bike Museum worth a visit.

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »
The seat may also be rider porgrammable. Internet standard copy editing!
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
There is a clue there as to what this model is:

* Fitting charges may apply

Probably a dealer putting it together.

It's Triumph itself (i.e. UK headquarters) that exhibits at this show, not a dealer, so it's not a particular dealer putting together a special.

Edit: As others have said, just a typo and meant to be "screen"

Here's a link to the Expedition pack on Triumph's website:

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/accessories/tiger-1200-expedition-pack
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:20:24 PM by Nutter »

Offline BruceC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XCa
  • City / Town: Solihull
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 08:10:51 PM »
I too visited the show on Monday and paid a visit to the Triumph stand to consider trading my 2016 Explorer for the lastest model. Having personally exhibited at various Engineering exhibitions over the years at the NEC I understand the cost and commitment companies make when investing in such an event. What surprises me is poor quality & poorly trained staff Triumph utilise to represent their company on the stand. The basic questions I asked of the salesman like  “what is an alternative shifter peg kit” ? as detailed on the list of features, only to met with “I’m not sure but I’ll go and ask someone “ Then with not one question to try to establish whether I’m a serious potential customer or leaflet gatherer I moved on to the finance desk to gain a broad idea as to the possible cost of trading my current bike for a new one. Again I met with “sorry I can’t help” response. I understand it would need to be confirmed at a later date with inspections etc however I went with cheque book in hand ready to commit, subject to final inspection and offer, and I was allowed to walk away without even being asked for my name. I may still go for an Explorer however will now test ride alternatives first. An opportunity lost and risk of my decision going elsewhere.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by BruceC [+]
I too visited the show on Monday and paid a visit to the Triumph stand to consider trading my 2016 Explorer for the lastest model. Having personally exhibited at various Engineering exhibitions over the years at the NEC I understand the cost and commitment companies make when investing in such an event. What surprises me is poor quality & poorly trained staff Triumph utilise to represent their company on the stand. The basic questions I asked of the salesman like  “what is an alternative shifter peg kit” ? as detailed on the list of features, only to met with “I’m not sure but I’ll go and ask someone “ Then with not one question to try to establish whether I’m a serious potential customer or leaflet gatherer I moved on to the finance desk to gain a broad idea as to the possible cost of trading my current bike for a new one. Again I met with “sorry I can’t help” response. I understand it would need to be confirmed at a later date with inspections etc however I went with cheque book in hand ready to commit, subject to final inspection and offer, and I was allowed to walk away without even being asked for my name. I may still go for an Explorer however will now test ride alternatives first. An opportunity lost and risk of my decision going elsewhere.

It wasn't just Triumph. It was a struggle to get convincing answers to technical questions on most of the major manufacturers stands. It's like they bring in staff from wherever they can find them just as long as they look right then teach them to answer very basic questions and no more.

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 10:09:23 PM »
Hi All

Was at the show myself today - as has been suggested the 1200 Tigers on display were 'old' stock but they were able to demo the new TFT screen on the Scrambler - looked OK but not wasnt overly impressed by the simple turn-by-turn instructions.

I thought the show wasnt too bad but I did get reasonable deal on a new Shoei JCruise helmet and I also got insurance cover through Carol Nash!

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 04:24:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
It wasn't just Triumph. It was a struggle to get convincing answers to technical questions on most of the major manufacturers stands. It's like they bring in staff from wherever they can find them just as long as they look right then teach them to answer very basic questions and no more.
Triumph corporate don't even bother to come to our shows in CA. The booths are usually staffed by local dealer salespersons. Even BMW does this.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline mds141

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Lancaster
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
Most of the staff on the bike stands aren’t actually employed by the manufacturer or indeed have any interest in the product they’re actually promoting. They are usually just employed by an agent to attend a show. Next week they might be on a stand promoting sewing machines or pistachio peelers. From my experience of the N.E.C show, the only manufacturers that actually have their own sales/promotions teams on their stands are BMW Motorrad and Harley Davidson.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »
I remember one year asking at the Triumph display about where the staff come from for the event. They said they were all Triumph HQ staff but come from all sorts of departments and I think the person I spoke to said they worked in the finance department), so you could end up with someone who designs the bikes and knows them inside out or someone who works in HR and doesn't have a huge interest in the machines (or someone from HR who knows their stuff, of course).

No idea whether it's still the same arrangement.

Recent Topics