Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Top Speed  (Read 6142 times)

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
Re: Top Speed
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
When someone says they've done 145mph (speedo) and that's faster than the 137mph (race track speed trap) that Triumph state, they haven't and it wasn't  :008:
About 6 pages back on this topic I mentioned a GPS recorded topspeed of 219kmph/136mph on my 2013 Gen1.
That was on the slow white one.
My 2018 fast blue one must be able to get at least to the race track speed of 137mph  :046:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2018, 10:27:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by TRITIGEX [+]
My 2018 fast blue one must be able to get at least to the race track speed of 137mph  :046:
Got gusting winds of approx. 60 mph here right now. A strong tailwind must be good for a couple over 137 (you would think). :015:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online smorgan

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2019, 11:13:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
*Originally Posted by PTwizz [+]
KE =1/2 m v²
mass =  400kg
velocity = 60m/s
KE = 1440000 kgm/s

so you're saying a sudden stop would not be good?

Newtons first law of Physics  F=MXA  Force = mass times acceleration
400kg of mass times 133mph coming to a sudden stop is the same as a very big weight suddenly appearing on your head or to put it in simple terms going fast never hurt anyone but stopping suddenly will get you every time

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2019, 01:06:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by PTwizz [+]
If I understand correctly, the Explorer top speed is electronically limited. Changing the gearing will have no effect on that, as it's a wheel speed limit, not an engine RPM limit.

"changing the gearing" usually relates to different final drive sprockets, for some reason DID don't show any different size sprockets for a Tex  :038:

Assuming the sensor is on the crank then changing the initial drive gearing may be possible, but is a lot of work for little gain.

According to MCN
"The transverse triple is equipped with ride-by-wire, shaft-drive, traction and cruise control. The engine makes 135bhp at 9,000rpm (the limiter cuts in at 10,000rpm) and 89ft-lb of torque at 8,400rpm."

Easiest way to increase power/ speed is by electronically manipulating the ECU as these kits, or similar.
https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/dynojet-kits-triumph-582-c.asp
https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/revolution-pro-motorcycle-speed-rev-limiter-cdi-box/triumph/tiger-explorer

Whether that's a good idea, or not I'll leave to you guys, mine runs plenty fine as stock (never even got round to changing the exhaust)  :028:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2019, 01:52:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
"changing the gearing" usually relates to different final drive sprockets, for some reason DID don't show any different size sprockets for a Tex  :038: :028:

When I posted the whole gearing change thing it was tongue in cheek...I do that usually followed by ;-)

I am surprised it took this long for someone to pick up on it ;-)

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2019, 01:06:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
When I posted the whole gearing change thing it was tongue in cheek...I do that usually followed by ;-)

I am surprised it took this long for someone to pick up on it ;-)

I guessed  :001:

Hence the mention of DID, without a reference to chain drives  :008:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Recent Topics

nonskid