Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Garmin 595LM on Gen 2 Top Mount  (Read 271 times)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Garmin 595LM on Gen 2 Top Mount
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
Has anyone installed a Garmin 595LM using the top mount Triumph GPS bracket?  I have a couple of questions about it.

I searched the forum, and found a lengthy discussion regarding installing on a Gen 3, and a number of installs on the XC models, but none on the G2.

Here's where I am at with the project:

I have not yet ordered my 595, but I did just install the Triumph top mount bracket.  I currently have a TomTom R400, and was going to move that from the bars to the top mount position, but the holes in the  plate for the Triumph mount don't line up with the holes in the base of the TomTom RAM mount.

I am assuming the 595LM also use the same bolt pattern as the standard RAM ball mount.  Is this correct? 

If that hole pattern is correct, then it looks like I have 2 options (I'm leaning towards giving option 2 a shot due to my mechanical ineptitude):

1.  I can drill holes in the Triumph baseplate that line up with the RAM mount and bolt the Garmin cradle to that.

2.  The GPS  mount for the XC models (PN# A9828026) has a baseplate that has the standard RAM pattern and it looks (I don't have any specs/measurements on it, but it use the same size bolt to secure it to the arm) like I can get one of those and use that plate instead of the one that came with my mount.

Once I have that part sorted, I can figure out if I can mount it direct to the plate or if I need to use a ball mount (or a thicker plate) to offset the GPS enough so it doesn't hit the screen.

Lastly, the 595 is a couple of ounces heavier than recommended for use with this mount, and there are dire warnings about a GPS heavier than advised possibly causing a crash.  I'm not unduly worried about this, but would like to know if anybody noticed any handling issues.

I appreciate the feedback.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline DM68

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
Re: Garmin 595LM on Gen 2 Top Mount
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:29:28 PM »
Hi ,
I had a Garmin 590lm (same size as 595lm)installed on the triumph top mount when I had my explorer gen 2.
Garmin sat-nav receiver bolts straight onto base plate, no drilling or altering and it if positioned properly won't hit the screen.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Garmin 595LM on Gen 2 Top Mount
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:03:08 PM »
Great, thank you.

I had seen on another post that the mounting holes were oriented 90 degrees off what was needed to mount the 595 in the "landscape" orientation (which is what I prefer).

After some fussing around, I was able to get my TomTom mounted on the Triumph base and everything seems to fit correctly and the screen clears the GPS.

Now I just need to order the 595 and install it.

Not looking forward to removing the tank again, but I need to get under there anyway to run the wires for the dimmer switch for my driving lights.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Recent Topics

nonskid