Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting a Radiator Guard to Tiger Explorer 1200 XR XC 2015 16 17 18  (Read 314 times)

Offline Vagabond MC

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Avatar is me @ Donington Circuit
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRx 2016
  • City / Town: Warwick
Hi all,

Bought an aftermarket radiator guard at the Motorcycle Live show at the NEC this year for my 2016 Tiger 1200 XRx. Instructions were absolutely incorrect, and even the triumph service manual for the pre 2015 model was incorrect. This is the guide for a 2015-onwards bike with the curved radiator! You will need:

• Allen Keys (Ball end ones will help)
  • Possibly some torx screwdrivers or torx bits, depending on fixings you have for the radiator
  • M6 x 14mm Fixings (You choose the head type and grade. I went with hexalobular torx panhead screws in A4 grade stainless from Accuscrews because Torx screws are easiest to undo after years of mud spray)

Now, to get started, get the bike up on it's centre stand and remove the Triumph badges from either side of the tank.

and remove the plastic trim in front of the tank filler, remembering the 12v socket is plugged in underneath and there's a tab that hooks into a bracket in the tank. Don't rip it, tease it.

Now, on both sides of the bike, remove the inner trims beside the front suspension legs. You'll need to move the bars around to get tools in, so make sure your bike isn't "walking" forward into a position where you can't roll it down off the centre stand when you do this.

Now, with these panels off and set aside, you can begin removing the tank fairings. Unscrew the fixings at the back of the tank:

And remove the fixing at the top, which secures both this little angled bracket and the fairing to the tank:

And unscrew the fixing you uncovered beneath the Triumph badges, and the sides should come free with a bit of wiggling. Don't pull anything roughly, if it's not moving then you probably missed a screw. Be aware that the "wings" that hang down the side of the radiator slide over some tabs on the radiator itself, make sure the rubbers don't pull out (and if they do, put them back in place before refitting)

Now, you should have exposed the radiator and there are four handy bosses that the kind folk at Triumph have provided.

Now, I don't want to go all metallurgist on you but these are aluminium threads in an aluminium radiator. You should have fixings with your radiator or (like me) you don't and had to specify your own. I don't need to tell you that this area gets messy, road spray, salt, mud etc and it also heat cycles from air temperature up to 90 degrees centigrade - this is the WORST possible situation for metal fixings, so if you put in cheap mild steel they will corrode horribly and possibly damage your radiator. Steel and Stainless Steel in aluminium threads cause different reactions, steel rusts and damages the threads while stainless steel promotes the aluminium to corrode (known as galvanic corrosion) and can actually be worse than regular orange rust. Do your research, coat your fixing threads with something that will inhibit corrosion of either part, but will not help the fixings vibrate loose (NO COPPERSLIP OR LITHIUM GREASE) - in my case I used a high temperature blue lock tight paste.

Now, the guard is installed. This particular one is stainless steel, powdercoated satin black, and is a product from Beowulf.

Now, refitting all the panels can be fiddly. Start by locating the rubber slots on the tabs of the radiator, and then fitting the top tabs of the fairing OVER the boss on the tank.

Refit all of the fixings, I started at the back working forwards, fitting the rear fixing lightly and the one with the little bracket up top, and the one under the Triumph badge. Make sure the fairing is sitting straight and there are no major gaps, if there are then readjust. Tighten all of these fixings down (don't go wild, its only plastic) and then refit the trims beside the fork legs and then refit the top tank trim.

JOB DONE, time for a recovery ale.  :030:
"If you don't absolutely have to touch those exhaust studs, don't touch them. Even if you absolutely have to, don't."
 - Abraham Lincoln 1643

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Fitting a Radiator Guard to Tiger Explorer 1200 XR XC 2015 16 17 18
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »
 :152:

Nice job and good advice re the fixings. Its amazing how many manufacturing companies don't employ Chemists & Metallurgists effectively (or at all). You can see many obvious blunders in all sorts of products on sale. I was going to say "these days" but my old chemistry teacher was moaning about this back in the 70's.

Recent Topics