Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 weight  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 weight
« on: November 29, 2018, 07:28:39 PM »
From the other thread you’ll see I’ve px’d my Gen 1 xc for and Gen 3 xcx. Obviously the big claim for the Gen 3 is that it’s upto 11kgs lighter (for the xca) but I’m assuming that’s compared to a Gen 2? Is it the same or similar from Gen 1 to Gen 3? Or put simply are the Gen1 & 2 the same weight, or did they shave a bit off for the 2?

Thanks

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Re: Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 weight
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 01:48:00 AM »
HEAVY. :151:

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »
the mk2 was heavier than mk1 . on the mk3 varients the main difference in weights is down to the arrow can being fitted or not. the big old standard can weighs a ton. on mine i  fitted an carbon scorpion can that saves weight but then added sw engine bars . either way this is still a big barge of a bike.  I would be sceptical of any weight claims as triumph marketing know  its  a bugbear of the big tiger and probably use smoke and mirrors to claim weight savings over the mk2 model .    they shaved some weight off the crank but i don't see where else they could have saved much.

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Manawatu
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:47:26 AM »
Paint on the mirror stalks maybe? :001:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonTEX [+]
the mk2 was heavier than mk1 . on the mk3 varients the main difference in weights is down to the arrow can being fitted or not. the big old standard can weighs a ton. on mine i  fitted an carbon scorpion can that saves weight but then added sw engine bars . either way this is still a big barge of a bike.  I would be sceptical of any weight claims as triumph marketing know  its  a bugbear of the big tiger and probably use smoke and mirrors to claim weight savings over the mk2 model .    they shaved some weight off the crank but i don't see where else they could have saved much.

They also "lost" weight by removing the engine crash bars & pannier racks from the XRT so the standard spec weight was less.

Any Tiger 1200 / Explorer will always be a heavy lump. I'd expect an entirely new replacement model to come along that will be lighter, probably with lightweight chain drive. There's already a new Tiger 800 on the way, rumoured with increased engine capacity - if that is 1000cc or more the big shaft drive Tiger might well be dropped from the model line up, but that may depend on whether Triumph want to keep competing with BMW or concentrate on rivaling the Africa Twin, KTMs, Multistradas etc.

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »
Also are we talking wet or dry weights. More oppertunity for being opaque.

The big adventure niche will no doubt evolve and new styles will emerge . We may be at the pinnicle of big heavy world touring bikes , bmw et all, in favour of more nimble machines. These bikes are a more a marketing creation based on the kitchen sink mentality and wannabe adventurers .  How long will bmw and tri keep slugging it out for who knows. Triumph should get smart and do its own thing. I hate to say it but Bmw have it licked in big adv. market terms and seem to keep one step ahead all the time. Three year warranty was an easy gain for bmw, tri missed a trick there!

Thats not to say they arent great bikes but how many will be overland trekking like charlie boorman ( and the famous other one who is a bit soft in my opinion).

Wouldnt it be cool if triumph could supply the bikes for the next series. Stick 2 fingers up to bmw. Come on guys where's your patriotism

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »
But when you get too lightweight you end up with a bike that isn't really fit for purpose for the ...ahem, heavier amongst us. Take the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (GT=Grand Tourer), its load capacity is 179Kg without its panniers (only 167Kg with its standard fit panniers). There is no way that is going to be a good two up loaded lugger, especially as Yamaha only state panniers or top box, not both. The Tiger 1200 load capacity is XR 230Kg, XCx 223Kg, XCA 224Kg,  GSA 217Kg, GS 216Kg. There's going to be a market for big adventure bikes for a while yet me thinks.

Online Gazza13

• Explorer Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
I do wish people would stop going on about the weight of the Tex/Tiger 1200.
Yes, we know, they are big heavy bikes, Triumph knows this as well.
They are not sports bikes and even me at 6"5 and 17 and a half stone and 54
years old sometimes find my Tex difficult to move around when static.
But, as has been said many times before, on the move these bikes handle and
can shift like a bike half the size and surely that's the point, when riding them
they are a fabulous. If you feel they are too heavy buy something lighter, it's
your money. I personally hope to trade my 2013 Tex in for a new XRT in the spring.
As a footnote I believe the new BMW GS1250 has gained 5-6 kilos in weight so even
the mighty BMW find it difficult to lighten the worlds best selling adventure bike.

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 02:56:35 PM »
the GS carries it's weight lower so is less  of an issue than on the tiger. the weight didn't stop me buying one but it's something that you have to be wary of all the time.  the reason people go on about is that it's a major feature  of the bike ,  for some it's good and others not so. you pays yer money.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonTEX [+]
the GS carries it's weight lower so is less  of an issue than on the tiger. the weight didn't stop me buying one but it's something that you have to be wary of all the time.  the reason people go on about is that it's a major feature  of the bike ,  for some it's good and others not so. you pays yer money.
At least when a GS falls over, it has those convenient lateral supports to keep it from crushing your leg.  :038:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics