Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 weight  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200xcx
Re: Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 weight
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 07:05:53 PM »
Thanks for all the replies  :028:......although I didn't really get an answer  :008:

It seems the weight savings are the exhaust (xca) lithium battery and small saving in engine internals and engine bars. Fully aware of the weight as I've had a Gen 1 XC for 3 years and, at times, it was a pain but I found the more I rode mine the easier and more confident I got. Parking on (or not if you can) gravel slopes are the biggest problem I found but the upside is a lovely ride and ace engine, hence the new XCX! Plus, the deal was a LOT better than a GS with the Triumph incentives and to be honest I quite like being the only explorer amongst a crowd of GS's you often see on your travels; I did a trip around Scotland in July and every other bike was a BMW!!!  :027:

Interesting though how almost all the reviews and road tests say the new bike 'feels' lighter and easier to manage!?  :084:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:08:04 PM by Coops!! »

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Triumph Explorer and Ducati Cadet 100
  • Bike: Blue xrx
  • City / Town: Shropshire
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 03:25:14 PM »
The only wait problem I had with my Gen3 was that it took 5 weeks for it be built........ :008:

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »
I have a 2017 XCA. It is light compared to my Harleys yet heavy enough so I feel stable on the highway. After riding 900 pound Harleys all my life I have learned how to manage the weight so my Triumph is no issue at all in that regard. I actually was interested in the 800 but found it too light, just did not feel planted. Felt like I was riding a bicycle. When you are flying down the highway and a semi goes by it is nice to have a bike that has a little weight.

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »
I actually was interested in the 800 but found it too light, just did not feel planted.
I agree when compared to the Tex - I was looking at the 800 before I bought Gen2 and was lucky enough to get one as a courtesy bike for a (very windy) weekend.  The 800 is a great bike but is more susceptible to cross winds. I may still be tempted with an 800 as age influences my choices more.
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazza13 [+]
I do wish people would stop going on about the weight of the Tex/Tiger 1200.
Yes, we know, they are big heavy bikes, Triumph knows this as well.
They are not sports bikes...

Well, people keep saying they are not sports bikes. In practice, on the track and running on PR4s or Road 5s with the screen removed for stability, my Mk1 TEX has better acceleration and easier handling than my '99 Blade on Bridgestone S20s (the best tyre I've found for its 16" front wheel). The Blade can be snapped in to a corner faster, but is prone to shake its head if it unweights the front. While neither bike will hit its top speed on the tracks I use, they reach about the same speed on the straights to within about 5mph. While steep hills are not a concern on most tracks, they are at Cadwell Park, and while I find that the TEX will hold top up the hill from Coppice to Charlie 1, I have to downshift twice on the Blade to keep it on the boil. The Blade has better cornering clearance, but it's still necessary to hang off both as far as you can. Neither ground anything more solid than the pegs when I'm riding, but the Blade has a gurt big can on the right which comes close to the track. I've not done back to back timing, but my impression is that the TEX gives me better lap times.

Is it the fastest thing on the track? No, of course not. A more modern sports bike like an S1000RR will probably hit 40+mph faster on the straights - but only with a good track rider who can hold speed through the corner and get on the power early. In practice though, there's not much gets past a TEX, even though it may be a bit ponderous in the pits. It's the usual thing with the TEX - it's never going to be the best bike in any category, but it's very competent in a lot of roles. And an S1000RR can't roll up to the track carrying more luggage weight than a 2018 Gold Wing!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:56:03 PM by unsubtle »

Recent Topics