Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 3 TSAS and ABS errors  (Read 1057 times)

Offline T1200-G3

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
Gen 3 TSAS and ABS errors
« on: December 01, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
Hi - has anyone had experience of TSAS and ABS errors being logged on new T1200? Took mine in for first service and they have said it’s logging errors and to dangerous to give back. I had no errors on display except once when it did a calibration and cleared.  Dealer has had bike nearly 2 weeks now and hasn’t made any progress except clearing code only for it to come back when test ridden.
Or does anyone know of a bike garage that has tools to diagnose CanBus problems fully. (High speed side) or has a wiring diagram showing the CanBus system from all ECU’s

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Gen 3 TSAS and ABS errors
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »
You get a recalibration of the TSAS if the battery has been disconnected but that is normal. First off I would look for sound battery, earth and electrical connections to any TSAS components before suspecting anything more serious. As it is with the dealer I guess it's up to them to check it out.  I have had a TSAS error which wouldn't clear and I had to get the dealer to reset it for me. It hasn't done it since but they couldn't tell me why it faulted either.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:57:36 AM »
After having been without my XRT for 2 months (the bike would simply not power on!), they finally found a "permanent fix" with a new software.

All has been well until last Friday night. While riding on the highway, the dash lit up an orange alert saying something like "key out of range". No other symptom but the orange sign remained until I arrived home. I shut down the bike then switched it back on to get an ABS alert logged on the dash.
This morning I took the bike and nothing orange appeared.

Triumph decidedly doesn't have the skills to master its new computerized bike technology.
Seeing them adding navigation on the new dashboards whereas they seem unable to provide a constant, reliable experience on current bikes is beyond me.

(and don't start me on dealers and their ability (or lack thereof) to service our bikes)

Offline T1200-G3

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »
I had the key out of range on mine several times since picking it up.  also just beeping when I tried to start it on a few occasions. I will approach Triumph directly this week to discuss with them.  As I have seen errors within 30 days I believe in the UK I could request a full refund...

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:55:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by T1200-G3 [+]
I had the key out of range on mine several times since picking it up.  also just beeping when I tried to start it on a few occasions. I will approach Triumph directly this week to discuss with them.  As I have seen errors within 30 days I believe in the UK I could request a full refund...
The beeping on startup is common, wiggle the handlebars, it is the bike telling you it can't unlock the steering lock that's all. Mine used to do it all the time and I imagined all sorts of complex issues with the bike but it is nothing to worry about. Unhelpfully it is not documented by Triumph anywhere. Key out of range is very common and well discussed on the forum, I am on my third keyfob battery in 11 months.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:58:19 AM by XCaTel »

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
I'm sorry to say that "key out of range" while riding makes no sense at all.
Once started, the bike isn't supposed to communicate with the key.
Or else it would do it every time you ride with the passive spare key (which can't connect to the receiver unless it is a couple centimeters close to it).

I can't see any other explanantion than yet another lame software instability.

I'm wondering if there is any sense of shame at Triumph. I would be ashamed beyond description if the general public was to witness such poor programming from me!

Online Benchmark

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 03:25:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I'm sorry to say that "key out of range" while riding makes no sense at all.
Once started, the bike isn't supposed to communicate with the key.

I would of said it makes perfect sense to ensure you don't ride away without the key and then stop the bike to find you haven't got the key to start the bike again! my car does exactly the same thing to warn me I haven't got the key.

Offline T1200-G3

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 03:36:11 PM »
Well I just called Triumph UK and they knew my bike before I finished my sentence (not sure if that's good or bad)  :001: - I'm not going to knock anyone yet as these Canbus faults can be hard to diagnose but everyone seems more concerned with the driving lights I fitted as causing the issue even though they are now removed and the fault still came back once ridden.  I'll post up with what they find.... hopefully in the not to distant future!

Thanks for the info on beeping. I did see on an American site someone say it was related to the Steering lock not disengaging.

The key fob is still a mystery. I was told by dealer to keep it in my right hand pocket as that's nearest the transponder. I don't know how the key works but maybe its interference from phone or helmet bluetooth but would hope its way off those frequencies.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »
Oh boy! You're bullsh*ted by professionals!

Firstly, your driving lights: either they are dishonest and trying to put the blame on you to avoid making the effort of troubleshooting, or they really don't understand a thing about their own design (been there, done that: they questioned my aux lights installation again and again, until they were forced to admit the problem was unrelated). In any case, even the ugliest electrical mod should not be allowed to put the main system down.

Secondly, the keyless receiver is on the LEFT hand side of the underseat.

Finally, the support doesn't seem much more efficient in the UK after all...

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Benchmark [+]
I would of said it makes perfect sense to ensure you don't ride away without the key and then stop the bike to find you haven't got the key to start the bike again! my car does exactly the same thing to warn me I haven't got the key.
Sorry, but I fail to see the benefit of having an obscure alert tens of kilometers after you take off.
Either the vehicle lets you go without your key in range, or it doesn't. Being stuck in the middle doesn't sound like a beneficial use case to me.

Recent Topics