Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Explorer Dash Cam Recommendation  (Read 1030 times)

Simmo, FellZebra and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX 1215 XRT
  • City / Town: St. Albans
Explorer Dash Cam Recommendation
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:01:58 PM »
After a friend was tragically killed last week after hitting a car doing and illegal U-turn I've decided to get a front/rear dash cam for my Explorer. Looking around it's a bit of a minefield with mentions about issues with bikes that have cambuses (whatever they are?), hardwiring, software, etc. I would be grateful to hear from anyone on the forum that can recommend a decent system that won't break the bank. I'm trying to budget up to £150 if possible. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Re: Explorer Dash Cam Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:13:49 AM »
I had the first iteration of this:

https://www.innovv.com/

It worked so and so, but at the time it was the only real moto dash cam.

I would not recommend the first gen innov cameras, but I hear they have come a long way since then.

Offline Hax

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '19 XRX
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 12:51:19 PM »
Sorry for the prompt for this post.
Seems that lots use GoPro’s or the likes. Innovv does look quite impressive.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend.

The Tiger has a CANBUS electrical system, since you mentioned it.

I don't really have any camera recommendations for you as I have never tried one myself.   But if you already have a newer model Garmin GPS (not sure which models beyond the 595 and 395) mounted on your bike, the Garmin brand cameras integrate with the GPS and can be controlled from the GPS unit.

As long as whatever camera system you install gets its power direct from the battery you shouldn't have any problems with the CANBUS system.

You could power them off of the rear Powerlet port or top box power point as well, for convenient switched power.

Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Triumph Explorer and Ducati Cadet 100
  • Bike: Blue xrx
  • City / Town: Shropshire
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »
I have a Ghost Pro (not cheap) that neatly mounts discretely on the offside ft indicator stalk. Works for me; not wired in and good for 2 hours with a 32Gb card and a full battery.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
If you want to try an knock something up on a budget get a 2nd hand Go Pro Hero 4 (or 4 black) and get a battery eliminator cable. Plug the eliminator cable to a front USB port if you have one fixed or run the eliminator cable from the rear USB port to the camera. The 4 black will take a 128GB memory card giving over 10 hours recording at 720p or set it up on a loop which can be up to the last 120 minutes in which case a 32GB card would suffice at 720p. If you want a higher quality image the recording will take more space of course. If you want clear slow speed playback set the frame rate at 50/60 (depending on whether you are NTSC/PAL). You will need to have it in a GoPro case for weather protection and have created a slot in the back of the case for the eliminator cable, then seal that slot with some silicon sealant. Not as good as an INNOV system but adequate. If you go the GoPro battery route you will end up changing batteries constantly, they barely last an hour when recoding. In the end you won't bother on occasion and defeat the whole purpose.

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 05:36:40 PM »
I was going to go with the Innovv. They are horrible as a company. I was charged $350 for my order and it was never shipped. They are based in China. After multiple emails was finally told what I ordered was not in stock yet they charged my credit card. After multiple promises of when they would ship they never did. Then took another 2 week to get my credit card refunded. If you go with them be careful

Offline Kiwibiker

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: BMW GSA, Yamaha Trac
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »
Try Motoprocam at https:\\motoprocam.com. I have them fitted to 2 of my bikes. They have both front and rear cameras which run continuous looping. Easy to fit and set up. Best I have been able to find.

Offline tiger885

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX 1215 XRT
  • City / Town: St. Albans
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 07:22:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help on this. Kiwibiker I've taken your advice and bought the one you recommended  https://motoprocam.com direct for the USA supplier. Total cost today including shipping to the UK UPS seemed reasonable for front and rear, wi-fi, etc. at US $232.87  Not inexpensive but I figure I've spent over £15k on my bike so it's really a small price to pay. I really appreciate everyone's help. Best regards.
Previous bikes: 1970 Mini Bike, 1971 Suzuki 50cc Trail Hopper, 1972 Yamaha YDS7-250, 1998 Yamaha Diversion 600, 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »
Here's mine.

http://flic.kr/p/XkAxAQ

From Nortek, Brit company. Similar design to Innov, but better quality, IMO.

Nortek.co.uk

Mine works well. Front and back cameras.
--------
If not now, when?

Recent Topics