Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Small bar in the fuel tank?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Small bar in the fuel tank?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
I pulled that stupid bar about 2 days after I brought the bike home

My '15 appears to be metal. How did you pull it? Is it just spot welded inside the tank?
I'm thinking of just using wire cutters on one side then just bending it out of the way.
Or just cutting it in the middle and pushing both out of the way.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »
They've been putting them in bikes for the UK (and other EU countries  :164:) for at least 10 years, they're simply to stop splashback from the petrol pump nozzle to reduce the likelihood of people/ bikes going on fire  :138:

Most are removable, if you feel the need to  :084:

California hey, who would have thought they needed something different  :008:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
My '15 appears to be metal. How did you pull it? Is it just spot welded inside the tank?
I'm thinking of just using wire cutters on one side then just bending it out of the way.
Or just cutting it in the middle and pushing both out of the way.
My 2014 one was plastic. I just pulled it out with a pair of pliers

Offline rockitcity

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Northridge, CA
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 05:33:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Icy
If I remember correctly, some states found out the vapor recovery thing really doesn't work as advertised.
California on the other hand puts themselves above common sense. Whatever makes the general public "feel good about what we contribute" is all that matters.
This state is so back ass jack wards I can barely stand it. I'm very fortunate to live in a county where the masses do not feel the same as the state as a whole. Some real nut jobs in this state for sure.
I've spent 56 of my 60 years here and would find it difficult to leave based on relatives, friends and weather.

*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
Mind boggling...

Not sure what's more mind boggling, the vapor recovery device or the quote... :016:

I've been in Los Angeles for 35 years, and I remember when I first moved here, it was two weeks before I realized you could see mountains from my apartment.  Now they are visible most every day, and rarely ever totally obscured.  Used to be you could be in Hollywood and see only a couple of blocks before the view was shrouded in brown smog.  Not anymore.  So, whatever the reason, those pollution control devices have had a positive effect on air quality.  I think that's a good thing, but I suspect lower exhaust emissions are a bigger part of the equation.

The situation in Bakersfield is probably different.  Let me re-phrase; Bakersfield IS different.  :018:

Now regarding the vapor recovery device on the pump, I agree it doesn't work on motorcycles.  I just pull the cover back with my hand and fill to the top. I have to watch as it nears the top, as pulling back the cover also defeats the automatic shut-off at full fill.  Minor inconvenience, but I have occasionally ended up with gasoline on my hands.  Lingering smell, even after a good scrubbing.

I believe the recovery systems were no longer mandated nationwide several years ago.  Don't know about California's current legal mandate, but I'm willing to put up with them for cleaner air if they help.

BTW, anyone have a picture of the restrictor bar in place?  My 2013 XC didn't have one when I bought it, so maybe it's down in the bottom of the tank somewhere.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by rockitcity [+]
I believe the recovery systems were no longer mandated nationwide several years ago. 

BTW, anyone have a picture of the restrictor bar in place?  My 2013 XC didn't have one when I bought it, so maybe it's down in the bottom of the tank somewhere.
I've traveled on a bike in most of the northern and western states and CA is the only jurisdiction that I remember that has the vapor recovery gas fillers.

I don't think that Canadian spec bikes have the bar in the filler. Mine didn't.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics