Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Here's the maths  (Read 1035 times)

Offline r2uzenblot

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Triumph Explorer and Ducati Cadet 100
  • Bike: Blue xrx
  • City / Town: Shropshire
Here's the maths
« on: December 02, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
Out with some of my friends today with their shiny Gs's all extoling how great they are and though they cost a bit more they hold their value. So let's look at this brain-dead economic statement. So let's see what it costs to trade in after 3 years with new bike prices increasing at 3% a year.

Tiger XRX comes at the moment with £950 of accessories and on the road at around £14,150. Depreciation is 25% a year. Value after 3 years is £5,970. New bike is now £15,460 so costs £9,400 to change.

GS on the road at Tiger spec is about £19,500. Depreciation is only 20% a year. Value after 3 years is £9,700. New bike is now £20,760 so costs £11,030 to change.

So it would cost £1600 more to change your GS and if you just sold the bikes you would lose more on the GS.

Not only that I still think my Trumpet is better.................

Offline Rowey68

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
Re: Here's the maths
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:55:29 PM »
Not sure where you’re getting the £19500 gs price from, I’ve just bought a hp rallye 1250 gs with panniers for £17000 I believe the equivalent triumph would be the xca at just over £17000?
I had the 1200 xrt from new and did 4K miles in 3 months before I was rear ended leaving the bike a right off and me with a broken back 🙄 It is a fantastic bike but as with all there are pros and cons I decided to go with the gs this time just so I can judge for myself which is the better bike (plus it’s a bit easier on my back).
 if I don’t like it I will be finding out exactly how much it depreciates pretty soon 🤣

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:05:29 PM »
The Triumph is definitely cheaper in my opinion as I’ve just been through it.

I’ve bought a spec’d up xcx which against a similar GS (which I almost fancied) that was similar and to be fair slightly better spec but with the Triumph incentives plus also a better px offer from triumph dealer the difference was nearly £3k  :005: The BMW dealer just said yeah but it’s a GS!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:07:09 PM by Coops!! »

Offline Jarse

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC12/T120
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:46:16 AM »
I’m guessing with an economic statement like that you work directly for Theresa May???

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 07:44:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jarse [+]
I’m guessing with an economic statement like that you work directly for Theresa May???

Ehh?!  :138:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
Yes, not sure where those figures are from either. BMW GS TE Spec with luggage, wire wheels and TFT Vs Tiger 1200 XCa when I purchased in Jan 2018 were within €100 of each other at full retail. I got a slightly better trade in from Triumph on my old bike but that was not the deal maker, it was the 1200 triple engine!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 02:57:49 PM »
Guys, you're comparing oranges and apples!
The GS still hasn't evolved to the point of having an electric windscreen ;-)))

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Guys, you're comparing oranges and apples!
The GS still hasn't evolved to the point of having an electric windscreen ;-)))
Had one on my ST1300. They are overrated (and add weight in the wrong place).  :006:  Now I have a Givi/Kappa AirFlow windscreen that I can height adjust from the saddle in 10 seconds (or less).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
I don't care about the weight (or I wouldn't ride a T12).
In the winter, my screen stays up all day, but in the warmest days, I discovered the joy of constantly adapting the airflow (like when I see a jam on the highway and will have to filter for kms on).

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »
My screen us up and down like a tarts knickers when I ride , best gadget on the bike!  :192:

Recent Topics

nonskid