Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Here's the maths  (Read 1074 times)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Here's the maths
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
 :0461: use mine all the time, very handy. Low for extra airflow at low speeds in town, then high out on the open road. It's one of those things, you don't miss it if you've never had it. Like linked brakes, quickshifter, ABS etc etc.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
use mine all the time, very handy. Low for extra airflow at low speeds in town, then high out on the open road. It's one of those things, you don't miss it if you've never had it. Like linked brakes, quickshifter, ABS etc etc.
Like I said, I can do the same without the electricery. And unlike the OEM screen, I can remove the top half of mine in 5 seconds (or less) and ride with the bottom 'sport screen' on a hot day.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
Hey Cap! Don't try to sell your Givi thingamagic to us!
We electric people are just better because, you know, we're up-to-date!
(c;

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 10:23:15 PM »
I'd have said the electric screen was gimmickry just adding weight.
But yesterday on a group ride through the Snowy Mountains (week long trip), with a pillion on the back my screen was a bit high and sometimes obscuring vision on the tight corners.
So I found it pretty handy winding down the screen for the twisties, then putting it up again for the faster straights.
But it does sometimes make a horrible screeching sound when moving it.  I wonder if I need to lubricate something.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 01:45:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Hey Cap! Don't try to sell your Givi thingamagic to us!
We electric people are just better because, you know, we're up-to-date!
(c;
I'm carving my next windshield out of wood!!! Electrickery be darned.   :164:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 08:48:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
But it does sometimes make a horrible screeching sound when moving it.  I wonder if I need to lubricate something.
Never had such noise (and I use said gimmickry intensively).
Either you need lubricant somewhere, or the device got misaligned somehow, or there is dust/dirt stuck somewhere inside the "rails".

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Never had such noise (and I use said gimmickry intensively).
Either you need lubricant somewhere, or the device got misaligned somehow, or there is dust/dirt stuck somewhere inside the "rails".
Mine is a bit of a screecher too, it's not out of align just a bit of WD40 on the top four linkages required.

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]

Bit of WD40 in the screw mech inside the slot with the flaps will sort it!  :152:

:431:  How did this get so off topic. sorry :450: :450: :450: :450: :450: :450: :450: :450:

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
I know admin doesn't like threads going off topic, but sometimes that's where the most interesting stuff comes in!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
Back on topic: The total cost of ownership of any motorcycle remains somewhat of a subjective exercise. And total cost of ownership is really the only math that matters.

A lot depends on how (and how often) you buy and sell vehicles. For me, the worst case is trading in for a new model. And that goes for any brand of any vehicle. Again, for me, the best case is to buy used and sell privately.

Keeping a vehicle for a longer period of time, while resisting the urge to trade up to a newer version of the same vehicle, yields benefits too. What the means to me, is to keep a bike for a minimum of 5 years, and a minimum of 10 years for a car. Do that, and your math may come out differently.

I am on track to have kept my TEX for longer than any other motorcycle that I have owned (currently only exceeded by my trusty ST1300).

Recent Topics