Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Here's the maths  (Read 1980 times)

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
Re: Here's the maths
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »
These are my numbers ..on my 3rd Tiger Explorer/1200 and 11th Hinckley Triumph.
The best is my XRx

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Back on topic: The total cost of ownership of any motorcycle remains somewhat of a subjective exercise. And total cost of ownership is really the only math that matters.

A lot depends on how (and how often) you buy and sell vehicles. For me, the worst case is trading in for a new model. And that goes for any brand of any vehicle. Again, for me, the best case is to buy used and sell privately.

Keeping a vehicle for a longer period of time, while resisting the urge to trade up to a newer version of the same vehicle, yields benefits too. What the means to me, is to keep a bike for a minimum of 5 years, and a minimum of 10 years for a car. Do that, and your math may come out differently.

I am on track to have kept my TEX for longer than any other motorcycle that I have owned (currently only exceeded by my trusty ST1300).
  I have 1999 Chevy suburban with 350,000 kilometers. It runs great and the body is good as well. It will last a long time yet. Could not replace it for less than 75,000 dollars. My motorcycles are all in mint shape as I take good care of them as well. 2000 Harley springer, 2011 Road King classic, 2017 XCA. All of them are like new. I buy what i know I want, take care of it and keep it. Yes there are upgrades every year but you can chase that dog until the day you die and it is expensive to do so. A few less pounds, a few more gadgets or a little more power does not matter to me.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 11:23:07 PM »
Sometimes the maths doesn't matter a damn.
I had a perfectly good Tex, and replaced it with a new T1200.  That move made no economic sense.  The TEx was in good shape, with only 50kkm on it.
I've ticked over 70 now.  I won't be riding forever.  I don't want to die with money in my coffin.  I wanted the T1200 NOW.
Bought it in June this year.  Have done over 19kkm on it so far.  Loving it.

Maths be buggered.  As you get older, you more realise that you can't take it with you.  (Hopefully the superannuation will hold out til I die.)
Doing more travel now, lots of it on the Tiger.  -But it won't be coming to New Zealand next year.  Thinking of hiring a bike for part of the time there.

Sure, for those with other priorities like paying off a mortgage, looking after kids and their education etc, the maths is still important.  -Just saying, there are other factors for some.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 08:40:24 AM »
Interesting POV Ken!
Indeed the math is useful. But it is (and never was) no more than that: one factual element to feed complex decision trees we all use daily.
I wouldn't let my life be ruled by maths alone (nor any other factor alone, for that matters).

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Sometimes the maths doesn't matter a damn.
I had a perfectly good Tex, and replaced it with a new T1200.  That move made no economic sense.  The TEx was in good shape, with only 50kkm on it.
I've ticked over 70 now.  I won't be riding forever.  I don't want to die with money in my coffin.  I wanted the T1200 NOW.
Bought it in June this year.  Have done over 19kkm on it so far.  Loving it.

Maths be buggered.  As you get older, you more realise that you can't take it with you.  (Hopefully the superannuation will hold out til I die.)
Doing more travel now, lots of it on the Tiger.  -But it won't be coming to New Zealand next year.  Thinking of hiring a bike for part of the time there.

Sure, for those with other priorities like paying off a mortgage, looking after kids and their education etc, the maths is still important.  -Just saying, there are other factors for some.
I agree, if you have the cash buy what you want.It is true we do not live forever.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Interesting POV Ken!
Indeed the math is useful. But it is (and never was) no more than that: one factual element to feed complex decision trees we all use daily.
I wouldn't let my life be ruled by maths alone (nor any other factor alone, for that matters).
I ended up retiring 5 years earlier than I had planned with no pension benefits at all right now. My parents are both still alive and kicking, so I anticipate a long lifespan. From a purely logical point of view, owning and operating a motorcycle is difficult to justify on a budget. So, managing and justifying the costs of this activity is important to me. Realistically, I could be happy with a thirty-year-old Honda on collector plates -- as long as I have something to ride, somewhere to go, reasonably good health and money for gas, I will be happy.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]

......as long as I have something to ride, somewhere to go, reasonably good health and money for gas, I will be happy.

:0461: :046:

Amen, brother.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline smorgan

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
your all missing the point  :164:  there are lots of reasons to quantify and justify buying a whole range of things but if you aint buying a bike cos your heart said so your buying the wrong thing for the wrong reason  :001:

just my humble opinion of course

Recent Topics