Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are the gadgets worth it?  (Read 1231 times)

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Are the gadgets worth it?
« on: December 05, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
I bought a new, never prepped '15 TEx this past February. Now that I have the bike sorted to my liking, I really, really enjoy it.
I keep reading stories, not just on this forum, about electronic problems with modern bikes. TPMS, suspension, keyless ignition etc. failures. When I say not just on this forum, I mean not just Triumph.
Getting stranded because the computer doesn't recognize this or that, especially on an adventure bike, doesn't sit well with me albeit rare.
I have a simple question in regards to all the modern upgrades that are becoming unavoidable on new motorcycles above 700cc's or so.
To those who have experienced "old vs new" technology, what is your opinion on what is necessary vs what is not?
I'm of the impression that once you set up any motorcycle for your personal riding style, you really don't fiddle much. Set it and forget it so to speak.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Are the gadgets worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
I'm of the impression that once you set up any motorcycle for your personal riding style, you really don't fiddle much. Set it and forget it so to speak.
Correct. It's like that fancy dishwasher that you have with 10 wash modes, that you always click the same wash button on and hit start. My riding buddy who had first generation electronic suspension adjustment, found one mode that worked for everything (one-up, two-up, with luggage) and left it in that mode so long that it eventually seized -- and he never missed it. He put almost 200k kms on that bike.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline bazthebike

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: xcx 17/blue
  • City / Town: southwest
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
I bought a new, never prepped '15 TEx this past February. Now that I have the bike sorted to my liking, I really, really enjoy it.
I keep reading stories, not just on this forum, about electronic problems with modern bikes. TPMS, suspension, keyless ignition etc. failures. When I say not just on this forum, I mean not just Triumph.
Getting stranded because the computer doesn't recognize this or that, especially on an adventure bike, doesn't sit well with me albeit rare.
I have a simple question in regards to all the modern upgrades that are becoming unavoidable on new motorcycles above 700cc's or so.
To those who have experienced "old vs new" technology, what is your opinion on what is necessary vs what is not?
       Hi, I bought a gen 2 xcx because I wanted abs,traction, etc, but def didn't want keyless ignition.

Offline Hax

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '19 XRX
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 05:14:33 PM »
Old vs new. I’d taken new every time.
Yea, I don’t use half the stuff once setup but know it’s there.
Swapping suspension modes on the fly is neat. Not a gimmick when you can swap to a lazy smooth ride after a bit of a blast......  :164:
Having all the safety stuff is a great assurance. TPMS has saved me wrecking a tyre where I nursed the bike home pumping it up several times.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
The biggest gains for me in going from a 2015 TEx to a 2018 T1200, are the more comfortable seat and the smoother suspension.
Means my old bones can ride for longer in a day, and probably is imparting less damage to my back.
My missus is more comfortable on the back too.  She appreciates the heated seat on colder rides, as do I.

I mostly leave my suspension set to 'comfort'.
I feel the electric screen is inferior to the Madstad screen I had on my 2015 TEx.
The quick shift doesn't change as smoothly as clutching, so I tend not to use it much with the missus on the back.  (Its useful in the twisties.)
Have done 16kkm on my T1200 now.

If you have the seat and suspension sorted on your 2015 TEx, then I'd say stay with it until it starts giving too much trouble.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]

The quick shift doesn't change as smoothly as clutching, so I tend not to use it much with the missus on the back. 

Then there is something wrong with your quickshift kenw. My quickshift is buttery smooth and superb, even at low speeds on the downshift. I really would get that looked at.

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 12:49:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
If you have the seat and suspension sorted on your 2015 TEx, then I'd say stay with it until it starts giving too much trouble.

Yes, got the suspension sorted and it's very good
Picked up a tall comfort seat from a forum member, very comfortable but not taller.
Ya, I really like my '15. Still getting familiar with abs and traction control ;-)

Offline Dark Star

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Rhondda
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 01:50:55 AM »
I've been riding since 82.  I haven't owned that many bikes as I like to get to know them.  In this order: 19?? Yamaha XS650 rigid chopper (no electronics, no problems); 1984 Harley XLX Sportster (electronic ignition went wrong and had to be replaced £££££); 1979 Harley Shovelhead in rigid frame (no electronics, no problems); 2006 Harley Screaming Eagle Dynaglide (ECU went mad switching indicators on and off at random - had to be replaced. £££££), I've still got the bike; 2006 Speed Triple (sticky throttle body sensor had to be replaced ££££). I've still got the bike..............

..............and so that leads onto the 2016 XRT. I was a bit apprehensive about the electronics but my wife (who has been riding for quite a while herself) said "all new bikes are electronic - you might as well have the lot!"   So how did that work out?

I love the self adjusting TSAS suspension.  From solo with no bags to two-up with a fortnights luggage - no problem, no spanners.

I love the heated grips (and seat), I've never had them before.

I love the rider modes.  I only ever use road (two-up or when it's wet) and sport (on my own in the dry) but you can certainly feel a more assertive and immediate throttle response in sport.

I love the lean ABS. I have never had a bike with ABS before. Last summer we were cruising some country lanes, came around a bend to find a tractor and trailer waiting in the cross roads. We had eye contact, but he decided to move anyway.  I was lent over, 80 mph two-up and hit the breaks as hard as I could.  We came to a smooth halt just below the window of the driver's cab.  On either of my other bikes I would have hit him for sure.  It would be his fault but my pain.

I love the traction control. Last winter we were coming over the Brecon Beacons and it started to snow hard. The roads weren't salted. Cars were pulling over because they couldn't see. My wife was on the back and asked "should we stop?" but no-one is going to help you so we kept on keeping on. 25 miles with the roads white with snow. I was steady on the throttle and didn't touch the brakes. I could see the traction-control light flashing away but didn't feel a thing. If I was on my Harley or my Speed Triple we would've been skidding down the road!

TL:DR - Electronics, YEAH!

Offline Wiliam

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 xrt
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 03:18:57 AM »
New over old almost every time...

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
I'm with Dark Star on this one. Every safety electronic device is great!

As for gadgets, here is my list (from the best to the worst):
- LED headlight: the halogens already were good. The LEDs are incredible! For a night owl like me, that's a true blessing!
- Heated thingies: when riding all year long, you can survive without but can live only with ;-)
- Cruise Control: makes long trips a breeze and keeps my license alive ;-)
- TSAS: I've always been thinking it to be a marketing gimmick. Now I use it almost everyday. Smoothest when riding on pothole laden road, then turning the firmness to +3/+4 (which is the threshold I found to get minimal brake dive).
- Electric windscreen: same. Believed it to be useless and now using everyday in Summer.
- Quick shifter: as good as myself for clutchless upshifting (a bit better actually, since it never misses a sync ;-), but wayyyy better than me for clutchless downshifting. Really excellent implementation!
- Riding modes: fun and useful at first sight. Now I only ride on Sport mode. Perfectly manageable and Traction Control protects me from any right wrist misbehavior.
- TFT iPadish dash: once novelty wears off, I stuck to the layout I prefer and never change it. Most indications are too small. I want my needles back!
- Keyless start: unreliable, obtrusive, utter marketing bullsh!t. Left me stranded for two months (thus proving Triumph doesn't master its own technology). Annoys me at every tank refill. Keeps me turning the fob on and off to spare the battery. By far the very worst idea Triumph ever had.

Wouldn't it be for the poor (what's the superlative of poor? lame? pathetic?) display of computer skills from Triumph, I wouldn't regret a single second my 'old' 2014 Tex. But I believe that's today tradeoff: we get (supposedly) useful features, but we lose a part of reliability...

Recent Topics