Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are the gadgets worth it?  (Read 1229 times)

Tiger T.O., wrinkley and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
Re: Are the gadgets worth it?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:01 PM »
You blokes are gonna cost me money. Stop telling me how good the shift assist is.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
I won't go through a list of all the gadgets I like because there are so many and this post would be an essay but top of my list for everyday interaction has to be the simple linked brakes. Just scooting around all day with two fingers on the front brake is very relaxed, even for the hardest of braking.

Special mention has to go to the ability to customise the rider modes too. Being a heavier rider, I have upped the default damping on every rider mode by a couple of notches. I don’t mean via the joystick once in the rider mode (but that is a way as changes are persistent) but in the actual rider mode settings. My new damping settings now come up by default per rider mode of choice. As I am not changing ABS/Traction in that setup (but you can do that too), there is no addendum to the rider mode image on the dash indicating it differs from the stock factory setting. That’s the little picture of a helmet over the rider mode on a Gen 3 dash.

The biggest waste of time to my mind is the keyless Ignition, I acknowledge some people like it, I just find it irksome, especially with an alarm.
Closely followed by the cornering lights. They don't irk me like the keyless, they are just superfluous vanity items. I have driven in pitch black on a curvy road, no street lights or moonlight to mitigate the effect, and I can barely perceive a change (yes, I am leaning the bike). Occasionally you can catch a minor illumination out the corner of the eye but that is about it.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I'm with Dark Star on this one. Every safety electronic device is great!

As for gadgets, here is my list (from the best to the worst):
- LED headlight: the halogens already were good. The LEDs are incredible! For a night owl like me, that's a true blessing!
- Heated thingies: when riding all year long, you can survive without but can live only with ;-)
- Cruise Control: makes long trips a breeze and keeps my license alive ;-)
- TSAS: I've always been thinking it to be a marketing gimmick. Now I use it almost everyday. Smoothest when riding on pothole laden road, then turning the firmness to +3/+4 (which is the threshold I found to get minimal brake dive).
- Electric windscreen: same. Believed it to be useless and now using everyday in Summer.
- Quick shifter: as good as myself for clutchless upshifting (a bit better actually, since it never misses a sync ;-), but wayyyy better than me for clutchless downshifting. Really excellent implementation!
- Riding modes: fun and useful at first sight. Now I only ride on Sport mode. Perfectly manageable and Traction Control protects me from any right wrist misbehavior.
- TFT iPadish dash: once novelty wears off, I stuck to the layout I prefer and never change it. Most indications are too small. I want my needles back!
- Keyless start: unreliable, obtrusive, utter marketing bullsh!t. Left me stranded for two months (thus proving Triumph doesn't master its own technology). Annoys me at every tank refill. Keeps me turning the fob on and off to spare the battery. By far the very worst idea Triumph ever had.

Wouldn't it be for the poor (what's the superlative of poor? lame? pathetic?) display of computer skills from Triumph, I wouldn't regret a single second my 'old' 2014 Tex. But I believe that's today tradeoff: we get (supposedly) useful features, but we lose a part of reliability...

:0461: :0461: :0461: :821: :028:

Except clutchless shifting - that's blasphemy!   :745:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 06:25:24 PM »
keyless ignition - massive sales disincentive - you still have to get the key out for fuel so negates any benefit then you have the risk of getting stranded - wont change my 2012 for a new one until i don't have to have that - these posh cars are all getting nicked so easily now a child could do it with keyless    :230:
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »
I have a 2017 XRt in the faster red and immaterial of whether you think the gadgets are worth it as a comparison between my 2012 launch model and the XRt is chalk and cheese and I found it money well spent as for the MKIII which I believe they brought out far too soon after the MKII I cannot really comment as I yet to test ride it.
But I do like a gadget and have not found anything on the XRt that I thought a waste of weight.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:32 PM »
Went from a 2017XRT to my 2018 XRT, pretty much love everything about the bike except the keyless ignition, not a fan at all.  Hate having to fumble around to find my key at gas stations.  I try to make a point of putting the fob in the same pocket each time but sometimes forget and then I'm patting myself down all over the place.   :008:
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 03:37:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
keyless ignition - massive sales disincentive - you still have to get the key out for fuel so negates any benefit then you have the risk of getting stranded - wont change my 2012 for a new one until i don't have to have that - these posh cars are all getting nicked so easily now a child could do it with keyless    :230:
The very best thing is when you are riding in really cold weather.  You get dressed up in the warm, walk into the cold and hop on the bike and start it up without having to unzip or take off the gloves to get the keys.  Same thing when you stop, just hop off the bike and not have to unglove.  Didn't see any  benefit to the keyless until then. 

Offline Hax

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '19 XRX
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 06:51:34 AM »
 :0461:
I like the keyless function. Nothing flapping about or marking the top yoke (I hate looking at bikes where the yoke is destroyed by a bunch of keys rolling about  :232:)
If anyone is worried about the key being clone'd to steal the bike then turn it off  :084:
My key's on a lanyard along with the topbox key around my neck and a card holder for my card to pay for the petrol - simple.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 08:51:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
Except clutchless shifting - that's blasphemy!   :745:
Icy, you are the typical two-wheeled obscurantist Yankee ;-)

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Icy, you are the typical two-wheeled obscurantist Yankee ;-)

:305:

Yankee doodle keep it up
Yankee doodle dandy
mind the music and the step
and with the girls be handy
 :082:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics

nonskid