Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Are the gadgets worth it?  (Read 3114 times)

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Re: Are the gadgets worth it?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 05:06:58 PM »
These upmarket motors emit all the time looking for a signal - just poor - in fact your banger with a security shield on the wheel is safer - as i said earlier will not buy a new one until its an option - one more thing to go wrong at the wrong time - cue copious swearing and a dead bike for the owner or indeed a lost bike
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 05:28:08 PM »
I have been riding continuously for almost 50 years. As such I consider myself to be a traditional motorcyclist. I also consider myself progressive.

I like EFI.

I think ABS is a good modern progression on bikes.

I like Cruise Control, especially as I get older and suffer with numbness of my hands.

I like the idea of Electronic suspension because of its ability to change settings on the fly. However they do wear out and the cost of replacement or repair is prohibitive.

I don't need engine modes, especially on a very tractable triple motor. It is totally unnecessary there. However it is necessary on Twins with ridiculous horsepower such as Ducati and KTM.

I have Keyless ignition on one of my bikes. I feel it is unnecessary especially as I still have to carry a key fob around with me.

I think that is everything relevant to me on bikes that I have owned to date.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »
Lets hope Triumph will listen to real people - this is a working bike not a Sunday rider  :440:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
Lets hope Triumph will listen to real people - this is a working bike not a Sunday rider  :440:
That's an interesting point. The counter-argument is of course that "we must keep up with our competitors, or lose sales". This is borne out by the fact that there are folks on this forum who trade up to newer versions of the same bike for exactly this reason. If there is nothing new, then why trade up?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »
its a view but i think for the very reasons mentioned here the fashion of keyless will be short lived one in this case with this design for motorcycles - for my Panigale ( not) it works as cool but as a practical solution fashion following is sometimes retro thinking - no idea what Beemer do - someone will know     

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2018, 11:23:29 PM »
its a view but i think for the very reasons mentioned here the fashion of keyless will be short lived one in this case with this design for motorcycles - for my Panigale ( not) it works as cool but as a practical solution fashion following is sometimes retro thinking - no idea what Beemer do - someone will know     
I think that the keyless ignition on a bike is a solution in search of a problem... :004:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »
Once again, I think you nailed it Cap!

And I don't believe there will be any step backward to useability. They made keyless crap a marketing show, now they're stuck with it for good (all of them, be it cars, bikes, bulldozers...).

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 05:04:22 AM »
Can you fuel without removing your gloves ? thats my beef - i get your benefit but i hate fueling up at the best of times
No, I can't refuel without removing my gloves but then again with a key I need to remove my gloves because I need to dig for my wallet and get my credit card out.  To me the fueling isn't really different. 

Don't get my wrong, I think it is cool to not need to mess with my key when it is cold out, but otherwise I don't really notice it and key or keyless is not a deciding factor for me.   It was 0% in my buying decision. 

Offline H53Guy

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer
  • City / Town: Saginaw
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
So the first bike I bought with hard luggage (2001 Tiger 955i) I said to myself "those will only go on when I'm on a trip". They were so darn handy the only time they came off was when I was servicing the bike. This same bike introduced me to heated grips. Then I bought a bike with electric adjustable windscreen, and cruise control, I said "cool but I'll never use them" now the wind screen gets adjusted daily dependent upon speed, temp, rain or dry, etc. The cruise control I will seriously use stop light to stop light. Now I've traded in my 01 girlie for a 2017 TEX, abs, traction control, and rider modes. ABS stays on unless I go to off road. My normal riding mode is sport with the ride set half way between normal and sport. Throttle stays in sport. Even in heavy rain I get limited spin or slip, except for a couple of really nasty roads. So Yea, I like the gizmos, and so far knock on wood, I've not had any problems with them.

Recent Topics

nonskid