Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Buying a used explorer  (Read 463 times)

Offline Lee Marsden

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph tiger explor
  • City / Town: BARNOLDSWICK
Buying a used explorer
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:48:13 PM »
Hi guys
I'm thinking of buying a 2015 explorer with 10500 on clock from a reputable dealer. Have any of you guys got any advice on what to look out for on a second hand bike
Cheers lee

Offline Chaz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Livingston
Re: Buying a used explorer
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:49:04 PM »
If it has a full service history it should be fine.

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:18 PM »
Hi Lee - had mine for 3 and a bit years - covered 25k miles on it - great bike. Like any bike - check for corrosion - I think the Triumph is alot better than some in this respect. Look for service history, free moving brake calipers, decent tyres, pitting or oil leaks on the forklegs, clean engine oil, a few extras like heated grips and engine bars are nice but do n't over pay for these. Luggage is good but you can pick it up secondhand . Good luck :002:

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:33:32 PM »
It is a good bike.
The way I look at it is.....if Triumph couldn't get it right after four model years of production, everyone would know it. This in part is why I bought a new '15 this past February.

Offline Lee Marsden

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph tiger explor
  • City / Town: BARNOLDSWICK
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
Cheers for information chaps👍

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
A friend of mine picked up a used '15 a few months ago. Has a heck of a lot more miles than the one your looking at. He loves it!

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 09:17:57 PM »
"eps" gave a good checklist. At 10k miles, if distance alone were considered it would have just had its first real service, so you won't expect to see anything worn out other than tyres and brake pads. Check for corrosion on the bottom of the chrome part of the fork legs: anything you can see will indicate similar problems in the hidden areas behind the fork protectors. Its unlikely you will have problems there after three years, but get in the habit of cleaning that area with a sock wrapped around the fork leg when doing the rest of the bike.

Personally I always change the oil and hydraulic fluid when I buy a bike even if it seems good, and I'd particularly do so in this case as the next service will be 9500 miles on.

Luggage: unless you're fixed on the adventure "look", it may be worth fitting plain black unlined Givis. They have a larger capacity than the "metal look" boxes, which lose volume to their double skins, and the plain black ones will take a lot of abuse without showing damage. I'm not sure if you can get racks for the 2015, but they are available for the early models.

Engine bars: strongly recommended on this bike! It's great when it's rolling, but eventually you'll drop it at walking pace on an off-camber track when  you put your foot down and find nothing. I don't normally fit or need them on other bikes, but they are useful on this one.

Other stuff: it's worth getting a Pyramid shock guard (not a hugger) to keep the mud from the rear wheel off the shock. It's internally shrouded anyway, but it reduces abrasion. Hand guards, even the plastic Triumph ones, make a big difference to keeping your hands warm.

Recent Topics

nonskid