Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luggage rack fitment with Arrow can?  (Read 788 times)

Offline Soboga60

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Exlorer
  • City / Town: Cumberland Md
Luggage rack fitment with Arrow can?
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
I was disappointed to find my Givi Monokey side luggage rack doesn't fit with my new Arrow can. It seems to stick out an inch or 2 more than stock muffler. Any body using luggage with Arrow can? What brand? Thx

Offline Soboga60

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
Re: Luggage rack fitment with Arrow can?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
Sorry 1st gen. 2015. Anyone know if SW Motech fits with Arrow?

Offline SimonTEX

• Explorer Member
  • Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  • Bike: 2018 TEX1200 XCX
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »
The givi rack frames are further back and lower than the triumph branded (givi )rack and boxes . I changed mine over so was easier for the pillion to get on the bike.  But when I changed the triumph ones for the givi ones the standard can still fitted ok . this is on the mk2 though.
But then i went for the scorpion  pipe anyway as I think the arrow can is still too large and too quiet.
Sell the arrow and get a scorpion instead.  :152:

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 02:12:04 PM »
Pictures please if possible, I'm a visual learner.
Are you completely sure your new exhaust is installed correctly? I've never heard of this problem and my OE rack made by Givi has plenty of room.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Soboga60 [+]
I was disappointed to find my Givi Monokey side luggage rack doesn't fit with my new Arrow can. It seems to stick out an inch or 2 more than stock muffler. Any body using luggage with Arrow can? What brand? Thx
I have that setup on my Gen1 and it fits fine (although I had to add to the heat deflector shield on the Givi rack because on a hot day the exhaust heat from the Arrow can, can melt the plastic Givi/Kappa bags).  I think that there was an earlier post similar to yours. In that case it was found that poster had accidentally swapped the left and right mounting points on the top, forward rack mount (if I am remembering correctly).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:18:49 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer & 800XC
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 05:41:30 PM »
I have SW Motech frames and Arrow can on my 2012 Mk1. It's close, but fits fine.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 05:51:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
I have SW Motech frames and Arrow can on my 2012 Mk1. It's close, but fits fine.
I am currently thinking about switching to the SW Motech frames. I have the Givi Monokey frames and they work fine. But I bought a second set of bags (Kappa 46 ltr) and load them up with way too much crap when we camp 2-up. The Givi frames flex the footrest frames too much when heavily loaded. The SW Motech frames look like the more solidly made and mount to better locations.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer & 800XC
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I am currently thinking about switching to the SW Motech frames. I have the Givi Monokey frames and they work fine. But I bought a second set of bags (Kappa 46 ltr) and load them up with way too much crap when we camp 2-up. The Givi frames flex the footrest frames too much when heavily loaded. The SW Motech frames look like the more solidly made and mount to better locations.
I can vouch for the sturdiness of the SW Motech frames. Mine have been heavily loaded many times with Givi Trekker cases and are solid.

However...if you plan to use a similar setup you might want to check this first to see what I did to mine to overcome an issue for the pillion...
https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,1276.msg24391.html#msg24391
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline Soboga60

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 03:06:02 AM »
I will check the upper mounts. Right now the heat shield is interfering w Arrow. As is, it has worked w the stock muffler though. Thanks all. I’ll follow up

Online Regi T

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 05:29:49 AM »
I have Arrow pipe with SW Motech side racks, I had to machine the outer mounting spacer to about half original size so the pipe sat closer to the bike. Dunno why Arrow saw it necessary to have the pipe mount out so far. Has clearance now, but not much.

Recent Topics

nonskid