Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replace rear brake pads, old subject  (Read 377 times)

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Replace rear brake pads, old subject
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:26:20 PM »
Ok, just replaced the rear brake pads, with EBC pads. The old ones were down to the metal in 11000 miles. Did not use the metal plates that were on the stock ones, per EBC. The brakes seem to have more drag than before, when just turning the wheel by hand. Riding, I don't notice any change and they work. Now I have changed a lot of pads on bikes over the years, so I think I know what I am doing, but this just seemed a little tighter than usual. Any thoughts. :187:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Replace rear brake pads, old subject
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
Did not use the metal plates that were on the stock ones, per EBC.
I used the OEM plates and EBC pads. Put it back the way it was and try that. Make sure that the pistons are cleaned with brake cleaner and exercised until they move freely. Also, clean and grease the slides.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »
Hi Hawk - thats good mileage for a set of rear pads ! I find I need to strip the brakes every year - pistons out - clean everything scrupously - little bit of brake grease - make sure the pads are exactly the right size - manufacturing tolerances can leave a little too much paint sometimes on the edges. Clean the pad pins. Good luck

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 01:01:51 AM »
i spoke to ebc today and apparently they list the 214/2 pads as for the 1200 tiger, but they are differnt than the 214 standard pad. they are sending me a set of 214 pads. the pad (214/2) with the hook is 2.5 mm thicker than the 214 pad. I will post the results when i get the new pads :084:

Recent Topics

nonskid