Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 17 tex and a serious pot hole  (Read 3268 times)

Offline lmartin780

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer
  • City / Town: Beaumont, Ca.
17 tex and a serious pot hole
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:11:51 AM »
Heading home from work and hit a pot hole on my 17 xrt..... bent both rims... instant flat on the front, rear held air.... AAA got it over to my local dealer. Rear looks like it might be salvageable, front is trashed.

What the consensus..... I know 2 new rims are going to be pricey.....  do I look at aftermarket (if it exists???) or putting on spokes from Triumph.

Thanks for any direction, Larry

PS what is a good site for oem parts for our motorcycles??
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:05:11 AM by lmartin780 »

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Re: 17 tex and a serious pot hole
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:32:58 AM »
Check with Buchanan Spokes in Azusa, Ca 626-969-4655-ext 17. They are pretty resable and I have had good luck on vintage bikes, by just taking the spokes and the rim in for matching. Not sure if they will lace it up, but it should be cheaper than stoke wheels. As to parts, search the internet for an outfit called "PartsFish". They do fairly well.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:36:31 AM by Hawk281 »

Offline lmartin780

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 05:42:40 AM »
I sent them an e-mail.... hope to hear back soon.

Just to be clear.....  I own an XRT, The wheels I damaged are the cast wheel.  I'm just considering spokes now that I have to get 2 new rims.... (great deal on the XRT or I would have gone with an XCA)

Larry

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
Sorry to hear about this, I know how you feel, My 1st adventure bike was a 800 tiger hit a pot hole on a bend going down  a hill, bike written off by insurers, now have tex explorer xrt. Good luck with the repairs.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »
You will need new hubs to go with spokes which must also accept your brake disks, ABS ring, axle etc. You might have trouble finding something suitable for such a low volume bike? I can't imagine this is going to be cheaper than sourcing Triumph replacements, either cast or spoked. A new Triumph cast front wheel kit is  ~£520. Rear is dearer at around £710 so If the rear is salvagable maybe go for the repair on that? Looks like spoked wheels are a similar price if you are buying front and rear so maybe an option if you really want to go spoked. Either way though...ouch!

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 01:49:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about the mishap and glad that you are doing well. That must've been one sharp edged, deep pothole to cause that much damage to both wheels man.

For these reasons I get the "tyre & rim insurance." We have that here in the States (not sure if it exists outside of NY / tristate area though)

The roads here in NYC are pretty much designed as defensive trenches to prevent a foreign land invasion. So the local municipalities get sued left and right for the damage they cause to the civilian population with the number of deep potholes - which I believe are there to stop tanks and APCs but also just as effective at stopping pretty much any wheeled vehicle. So they came up with this Tyre & Rim insurance, which is subsidized by the state because picking up the tab for the damage caused to the vehicle is cheaper than dealing with a rightful lawsuit and its repercussions. Beh...
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
because picking up the tab for the damage caused to the vehicle is cheaper than dealing with a rightful lawsuit and its repercussions. Beh...
And all of this lawsh!t machinery is still cheaper than properly maintaining roads?

Must be one of the numerous wonders of the business-first ideology (sorry ;-)

Offline lmartin780

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »
Just a quick note..... obviously I took quite an impact on that pothole, but the suspension did an amazing job.... the back end never kicked up... the bike stayed composed through the entire deal. I never felt remotely close to loosing control.  Flat front just eased onto the back brake and pulled to the side of the road.

Larry

Offline bazthebike

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: xcx 17/blue
  • City / Town: southwest
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
pair on ebay (uk), don't know bout shipping. rear £320, front £160, uk pounds.

Offline Traxx

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »
So why are you going to spokes? Cast is cheaper and lower maint. Just throwing that out there.
Also what about insurance? Are the rims not covered?
Tread lightly my friends.

Recent Topics