Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tex clutch mod / warranty repair.  (Read 1985 times)

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
Re: Tex clutch mod / warranty repair.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 07:06:25 AM »
After discussions with Triumph technical and warranty whilst at the bike show, many new parts were ordered for my clutch, and promptly installed.Sadly there has been no improvement on the operation of the clutch.

The big problem is setting off from a standstill i.e. junctions etc. It is almost impossible to make a quick getaway as pulling away requires a degree of thought. One cannot gently release the clutch whilst feeding in and building the revs. For a smooth getaway with no juddering, the revs first need to be brought up to around 2000rpm then built up as you very gently feed in the clutch. I'm finding that pulling away from a standstill or a junction is no longer an automatic response as it has been for the last 46years, but requires careful thought and considered manipulation of the controls.

The 1200 Tiger really is a fantastic piece of kit and I have also owned both Gen1 and Gen2 bikes, but this problem is really making me consider moving this one on.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
I noticed that the auto-revUp feature on my XRx required some adjustments on my clutch habits as well. Now releasing the clutch automatically increases RPM and trying to slip the clutch causes a judder - especially riding in stop & go traffic like I do every-single-day... This is my current solution:

- Back to two finger clutch operation... I had stopped doing that since my sports bike days now I am back to it. I noticed that two fingers on the bar and index and middle finger operating the clutch lands me in the perfect friction zone... If I pull in the clutch all the way (the way I used to with my two Gen1s) then it's almost impossible to smoothly launch - it's either juddery, or a huge RPM leak - it's a hit and miss. The two finger pull with two fingers acting as stopper method I have been quite happy so far.

But yes, I had to adjust, no two ways about it. I really like the auto RPM up feature though - I thought that was missing. It was almost impossible to walk this bike by letting go of the clutch smoothly and playing around with the friction zone like one could with the panzer...

I hope this method helps you as well

:821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »
Hi All

My 2017 Gen2 XRT falls in the 'juddery when cold' camp when she's up and running at temperature she is fine - and long may she stay so!

The only other feature that can catch me out is Hill Hold Assist - I don't use it all the time (only when necessary) but I do find that balancing the clutch and throttle to overcome the Hill Hold Assist can see me kangarooing off down the road - not very smooth or elegant! Thinking about it, it may be because I use it so infrequently that I've just not got use to it!

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 02:52:55 PM »
auto RPM up feature?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
Since Mk3 (possibly Mk2, I didn't own one), when you slowly release the clutch, there is a slight rpm surge to avoid stalling and allow slow operation without throttling by hand.
Just like on "modern" cars.

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
Hi All

Definitely no 'Rev Upperer Device' on Gen2s - all done by feel, or lack of it!

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 05:06:51 PM »
How do you guys with the fulltime judder and takeoff assist on gen3 bikes manage to maneuver at slow speeds without slipping the clutch?  I have the cold judder problem with largely disappears when the bike is fully warmed up. Reading these posts makes think I would be best to not try to upgrade my clutch.

Something similar happened to my 2012 Subaru Forester. After a clutch replacement, I found that any attempt to slip the clutch while doing something like backing uphill out of a drive caused the clutch issue a strong burning smell and judder. The original clutch had been perfect. The replacement was installed by the Subaru dealer and was presumed to be OEM parts. The dealer told me that I didn't know how to drive a standard. Then I talked to another owner of the same car who went through exactly the same experience after a new clutch was installed. I could only conclude that Subaru had changed the clutch material. I traded the car shortly afterward. I hated driving it.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
I noticed that the auto-revUp feature on my XRx required some adjustments on my clutch habits as well. Now releasing the clutch automatically increases RPM and trying to slip the clutch causes a judder - especially riding in stop & go traffic like I do every-single-day... This is my current solution:

- Back to two finger clutch operation... I had stopped doing that since my sports bike days now I am back to it. I noticed that two fingers on the bar and index and middle finger operating the clutch lands me in the perfect friction zone... If I pull in the clutch all the way (the way I used to with my two Gen1s) then it's almost impossible to smoothly launch - it's either juddery, or a huge RPM leak - it's a hit and miss. The two finger pull with two fingers acting as stopper method I have been quite happy so far.

But yes, I had to adjust, no two ways about it. I really like the auto RPM up feature though - I thought that was missing. It was almost impossible to walk this bike by letting go of the clutch smoothly and playing around with the friction zone like one could with the panzer...

I hope this method helps you as well

:821:

Thanks ICY, I'll give this method a go.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
If I pull in the clutch all the way (the way I used to with my two Gen1s) then it's almost impossible to smoothly launch - it's either juddery, or a huge RPM leak - it's a hit and miss.
Is that because you are not engaging the hill hold feature if you don't pull the clutch all the way in?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Is that because you are not engaging the hill hold feature if you don't pull the clutch all the way in?

Oh, apparently I mistyped - I have an XCx, not an XRc. I don't have hill hold feature - I wouldn't ride a motorcycle with that feature... what's next, three tyres?!?

It's because the friction zone is too close to almost extended position of the clutch lever and I have trouble easing into it successfully, consecutively. I'm used to having the friction zone closer to the handle on my TEXs. Add that auto-rpm-up feature into the mix, and more often than not I end up creating a bizarre wobble instead of a steady smooth acceleration. I asked the dealer about this phenomena a few days after I got the bike and he told me about the new auto rpm up when the clutch hits the friction zone, and I simply went back to two finger clutch operation mode when I realized that my two fingers on the bar seem to be right below the friction zone. Now I am faster than ever with my acceleration - sport mode on baby! (not sure that's a good thing, but I am more mature now... beh)
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics

nonskid