Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Head issue update  (Read 2361 times)

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: Head issue update
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 11:37:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
Well bike runs like new. Nice to have it back.

:821: Here's to a speedy recovery then!
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 04:02:26 PM »
1200 mile update.

I am thinking my bike had this problem for longer than I originally thought.  The bike is a whole different animal.  vibration is way, way down and I can actually see reflections in my mirror again.  milage went from 37 MPG to 40 MPG on the freeway (I commute 90% freeways) and throttle response is very linear.  going from 80 MPH to 110 MPH in 6th is very quick.  Idle noise if much less also.  My bike is far outside the vin range.

The Tech at my dealer said the trophy engines actually have a recall on this issue which runs through a larger vin range and years.  T just did not want a second recall so they fixed as they popped up.  If in warrantee they covered everything.  If out (like mine) only parts.  My dealer has not seen any repeat problems on bikes they have replaced the heads on.  To date, the dealership has fixed 6 bikes.  4 trophies and 2 TEXs.

don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 04:06:37 PM »
Well, first - all's well that ends well. So, great news. Seeing a clear view in the rear-view mirror is important.
Second   :232:  ingenious solution to a problem: first downplay it, then don't mention it, but fix it if you see it. How British of them.  :192:
 :063:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 04:19:54 PM »
they are a sneaky lot.  not as bad as the Germans, but close.   :150:
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
The Tech at my dealer said the trophy engines actually have a recall on this issue which runs through a larger vin range and years.  T just did not want a second recall so they fixed as they popped up.  If in warrantee they covered everything.  If out (like mine) only parts.  My dealer has not seen any repeat problems on bikes they have replaced the heads on.  To date, the dealership has fixed 6 bikes.  4 trophies and 2 TEXs.

Thats pretty shady of Triumph to say the least . They know there is a problem yet they stick the bill for it to their customers....

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 06:44:11 PM »
Sometimes these decisions are more difficult than it might appear for a manufacturer. Here's a hypothetical situation for a manufacturer of consumer products.

A very low frequency manufacturing defect with potentially serious failure mode is identified. This would seem like a simple decision to recall, apart from the obvious cost involved. One might reasonably think that if the manufacturer doesn't recall, they wouldn't be doing the right thing due to desire to avoid the cost [or some other evil/incompetence]. However, the manufacturer knows from experience what the error rates and failure modes are from dealers disassembling and reassembling the related parts. They are significantly higher than the defect rate due to dealers not having production level control over quality [insert favorite dealer horror stories to further embellish]. To initiate the recall will in fact expose their customers to greater risk. The manufacturer's choice is therefore to do the recall with associated cost, increasing the risk to their customers, but nonetheless being the more legally self protecting course of action or dealing with the issues if and when they arise.
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 11:39:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by isb [+]
Sometimes these decisions are more difficult than it might appear for a manufacturer. Here's a hypothetical situation for a manufacturer of consumer products.

A very low frequency manufacturing defect with potentially serious failure mode is identified. This would seem like a simple decision to recall, apart from the obvious cost involved. One might reasonably think that if the manufacturer doesn't recall, they wouldn't be doing the right thing due to desire to avoid the cost [or some other evil/incompetence]. However, the manufacturer knows from experience what the error rates and failure modes are from dealers disassembling and reassembling the related parts. They are significantly higher than the defect rate due to dealers not having production level control over quality [insert favorite dealer horror stories to further embellish]. To initiate the recall will in fact expose their customers to greater risk. The manufacturer's choice is therefore to do the recall with associated cost, increasing the risk to their customers, but nonetheless being the more legally self protecting course of action or dealing with the issues if and when they arise.

I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. However,this is a different situation ..I don't expect a recall, but they know that they have heads out there that may fail that are out of the VIN range  that  they originally anticipated, but rather than just repair them and eat the cost on a case by case basis, they are asking the customer to absorb the labor and they will cover parts..Now, thats a nice gesture and I suppose it's better than nothing, but it's certainly far short of what would be expected with a known problem.

I bought my 2014 5 months ago...it is obviously used but only had   1100 miles on it... its outside of the VIN range so in theory I should have nothing to worry about, but now it looks like that is not true...you can bet your last dollar I would not have bought it had I known there may be an issue with the head on this bike. I expect to put about 20K on this bike in the next year or so, and because of that , I may be looking at an expensive repair bill.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 12:01:53 AM »
Many manufacturers are at this game. My timing belt snapped in 1996 and ruined the head on my 15 month old Opel car (General Motors owned at the time). Warranty was only one year then and the car had 30,000km on it. It had had three full 10,000km services within that 15 months. Opel paid for a replacement cylinder head, I had to stump up over £1100 (Irish Punts then) labour and they had no empathy whatsoever. I wouldn't mind but I didn't own it, just leased it from them for two years. I have had many cars since then but non of them was ever an Opel, it always stuck in my throat.

When you can buy a similar product from multiple sources, i.e. lots of different motorcycle manufacturers, service and support can be the only differentiator. Anecdotal evidence from these forum pages does give the impression that Triumph are better than many in their response though?

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
AnaheimTex

Sad to read of your problem, very glad T worked it out to your satisfaction.

"After my initial temper tantrum, I’ve had time to think about whether I want to sell a paid off bike. I really like the triumph and have it all set up for long trips. May end up keeping after all and update the suspension and seat. I fuel all I can do is hope the head holds up and the mechanic did his job correctly. I’ve done many long trip on this bike and use it as a daily commuter."

In general, I feel the same as you. (Except for getting over a tantrum.)  I want to / plan to keep my Gen I TEx for a lot longer.

Over last summer, I replaced the original Triumph fork guts with an Andreani Misano cartridge configured for my weight.  Big improvement, I was surprised. So I sprung for a better spring, replaced the shock with the Tourtech set up for my weight.  I went with the most basic set up, once the bike is set for me, the only adjustment I might make would be more pre-load if I load the bike up for a week trip.  That is something you plan for, so a couple minutes with tools before/after a trip is preferable to spending extra on a thumb knob.   

$1500 for suspension work is way, way, preferable, to my way of thinking, to $15,000 for a new bike.   Just sayin' ...

I left the seat alone, but I've always liked the seat.

The bike rides smoother over every surface, and feels like it lost 100 lbs.  And remember, I've ALWAYS liked this bike, except for the slightly clumsy feeling at low speed.  Seriously, I think you will be very happy if you redo your suspension. 

Good luck to you.
Dick63

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »
Would a simple compression test show a potential problem before outright failure?

I think it would.

Recent Topics

nonskid