Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: On the hunt for some noise  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Sean on Explorer

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Lancashire
On the hunt for some noise
« on: December 20, 2018, 04:46:04 PM »
I have recently bought an xca and am after a silencer that is smaller and louder. I have ferried through this forum and seen folk with Remus and Pipewerx cans which look like what I am after. My question is will they all fit under the pannier rack or is it certain makes. The panniers look like triump stamped Givi trekker and are quick release. Hopefully someone can help me not wind up paying out for something that doesn’t fit. Many thanks.

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
Re: On the hunt for some noise
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
Makes 2 of us. While the arrow is a nice can it is just to quiet for me. Hell the Triumph arrow can on my 2018 Street Triple RS is louder. I have been looking at the REMUS Hexacone or the Blackhawk

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:07:56 PM »
I have the Remus Hexacone on mine - fits nicely behind the Givi racks with plenty of room between the can and the racks.

Noise? well no real difference at tick over, but get up to speed and the Hexacone has a nice little rort to it, plus the engine seems to breathe just a little bit easier with it fitted. I could make it louder I suppose if I wanted to by taking the baffle out, but really haven't felt the need. Very happy with it

Offline arguth

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Nelson
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 04:07:23 AM »
Gday. Pissed around with Arrow and Scorpion, Too Quiet. Fuel exhaust Diablo Midi. Ducts nuts, and for more sound De-Cat. My XCA is De-Catted and I love it but if you have a misses on the back you'll have to run it with the baffle in or shell be complaining :821:

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 01:58:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by arguth [+]
Gday. Pissed around with Arrow and Scorpion, Too Quiet. Fuel exhaust Diablo Midi. Ducts nuts, and for more sound De-Cat. My XCA is De-Catted and I love it but if you have a misses on the back you'll have to run it with the baffle in or shell be complaining :821:

Yup a de cat is where the real sound come is..the cat is a great muffler so leaving it on the bike will make most any  exhaust sound quiet

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »
Yea, the cat is the real muffler.  I was looking at my GEN 3 bike that comes with the Arrow and thought I might take a look at doing the baffle removal.  Looking down the muffler I can look all the way down to the inlet.  Nothing to remove. 

I bet a person could just take some nice chrome tube and connect to the back of the cat and take it out to where the stock exhaust exits and there would only be a minimal amount of sound increase.   When I had a BMW S1000XR someone did it, though they only had a 6 inch piece of pipe and it exited a little behind the right footpeg, it wasn't a huge increase in sound because of the cat. 

Offline arguth

• Explorer Junior
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 06:43:48 PM »
Its an interesting issue. The hunt for the decent sound has issues. The Triumph is very versatile and will not need remapping if the cat is removed as its only held in with a couple of tac welds. A reputable exhaust guy will be able to do this to the existing headers. Notice the design of the headers and how they narrow at the cat, this is where Triumph have created most of the back-pressure, The design also assists greatly with scavenging of gas in the cylinders. However the length of the exhaust is also critical for the same reason but not to the same extent. Don't shorten the system or you've gone to far and will need a remap on a dyno for very little power increase but to get the fuelling right.
The difference with the Fuel Can is its internal diameter as its stepped out in size once its exits the Headers and Cat. It works well and as I'm one who loves the sound of a triple, you may find this is enough before heading the De-Cat Route :046:

Offline Hoozdis

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Plano, TX
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
I'm not quite following your point, sorry

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by arguth [+]
Don't shorten the system or you've gone to far and will need a remap on a dyno for very little power increase but to get the fuelling right.

You can't remap a TEX. Which bits of the proposed mods have you actually done?

Offline arguth

• Explorer Junior
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »
Gday. Header was removed with cat box opened up and internals removed which came out intact. Headers reinstalled with new gaskets. Fuel Diablo Midi fitted and no tune required. Re the map. Pretty sure you'll find the issue is with using the likes of tune ECU to download Maps which you can't, but you should be able to alter the triumph Map itself through an accommodating dealer and triumph program. Good luck with that!!. Not enough mechanics who now what they're doing!!
I just did the 15 minute adaption which worked just fine. No throttle issues and very little decal popping. In fact it ran just the same but sounded as a triple should.
Have a great Christmas  :821: :821:

Recent Topics

nonskid