Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: On the hunt for some noise  (Read 1211 times)

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: On the hunt for some noise
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 12:25:04 AM »
The problem with a remap is that the Explorer has an encrypted map and they don't issue alternatives to dealers. In this respect it is different from bikes like the 1050 Tiger, which can be remapped easily.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
The problem with a remap is that the Explorer has an encrypted map and they don't issue alternatives to dealers. In this respect it is different from bikes like the 1050 Tiger, which can be remapped easily.

I wonder if Hilltop can do anything? They claim they have a different approach/solution to remaps so might be able to work on a Tex despite the encryption?
Check out "our services" on their website: http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 03:51:12 PM »
AFAIK, the only proper way to remap our engine would be to act upon the ECU directly (other solutions are generally cheating said ECU in believeing the outside temp are lower than they actually are and apart from dropping the mileage and ruining the planet, they don't achieve much).

It seems that Hilltop write something into ECUs and it remains "invisible". Nice claim. But as a PhD computer scientist, I can assure you that no line of code can truly be invisible within a system. Obfuscated and/or encrypted, but certainly not invisible to careful investigations. And I expect a manufacturer facing a complete engine replacement under warranty to conduct careful investigations, firstly on the ECU.

As for managing Triumph's (stupidly) encrypted system, I don't know where/how they would achieve this (unless they got a decryption key, either from Triumph or any other source and it still would be a difficult job). Or do they install their own code into unused parts of the system? If so, how can they be sure that a new software release won't overwrite their precious stuff? Sounds like hacking to me. And hacking is just that, nothing perennial.

Now I have proof that Triumph is unable to program their software properly, I can see there is room for improvement (even in functional areas, not to mention engine management). But I'm more surprised by the loads of happy BMWers having spent 400€ in such a remap (though I have seen many happy snake oil customers in the past). BMW have been working for tens of years on ECUs and I just can't believe that they'd put on the market a bike restricted from 20+ power and 10+ torque. No ones seems to worry about the long term consequences but I would!

Last strange thing: if I was a Triumph or BMW executive, I'd buy Hilltop engineers right away to make my new model (or even ancient ones) shines brighter than the others on power/torque figures! But then again, I must be paranoid, right?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:57:34 PM by NiK »

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »
People likeHilltop don’t have to worry about meeting emissions criteria and can be free and loose with mappings. It’s not that Triumph, BMW and the rest are stupid, they must adhere to Euro 4 and every other emission/noise standard on the way.

Online Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
Just had my Remus Blackhawk delivered. Will get it installed this weekend. I had a real hard time to justify the purchase being the stock pipe on the XCa is a Arrow. But its just to damn quiet

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 08:59:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
People likeHilltop don’t have to worry about meeting emissions criteria and can be free and loose with mappings. It’s not that Triumph, BMW and the rest are stupid, they must adhere to Euro 4 and every other emission/noise standard on the way.
If it's really what makes them able to free the true power of engines, then they essentially turn road legal bikes into illegal ones, aren't they?
And a simple roadside emission test would reveal it and you'd be in trouble (at least in France). And it wouldn't allow you to pass what you call MOT, would it?

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
And it wouldn't allow you to pass what you call MOT, would it?

Motorcycles aren't tested for emissions in the UK. I think this is because bikes are still taxed by engine size, unlike cars taxed by their emissions. It's a loophole/anomaly that has somehow slipped passed the bureaucrats but its bound to come sooner or later, especially with more low emission zones in cities.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Motorcycles aren't tested for emissions in the UK. I think this is because bikes are still taxed by engine size, unlike cars taxed by their emissions. It's a loophole/anomaly that has somehow slipped passed the bureaucrats but its bound to come sooner or later, especially with more low emission zones in cities.
Motorcycles aren't tested in Republic of Ireland for anything at all so it would never be picked up here.The Garda (Police) are stretched enough and you wouldn't be picked up on an emission infringement either. The biggest issue for those getting a remap is the insurance company wriggling out of a payout in the event of an accident for a non standard bike. Insurers here treat panniers and top box as "non-standard" and I have to declare them for insurance purposes and it is noted on my policy even though they are Triumph supplied. We are a very litigious country and legal costs and compensation payouts are huge, it really isn't worth being on the wrong side of an insurer here although plenty do remap/decat and take that chance.

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Up North Mate !!!
I work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes....

Offline Sean on Explorer

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »
Many thanks for the replies. It certainly makes for interesting reading. I will probably get another can for now( the standard one is dog ugly) and go from there. My Thunderbird was de-cated with a 6 inch piece of pipe which made for an easy conversion. This will require some investigation and some money spent.

Recent Topics