Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger Sport V Tiger 1200  (Read 1277 times)

Offline damo66

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: HILLSBOROUGH
Tiger Sport V Tiger 1200
« on: December 22, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »
Can anyone tell me if they have changed from a Tiger Sport to the Tiger 1200, if so what is their honest opinion, I have had a 14 Sport and currently ride a 17 Sport which I really do like but I am drawn to the 1200 having had one out when getting a service done last summer, I tried an Explorer in the past but I just couldn't warm to it.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Tiger Sport V Tiger 1200
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
If it's any help I was lent a Sport when my Gen 2 1200 was serviced:
I immediately noticed the weather protection is miles better on the Tex.
Sport felt very marginally faster but I'm not sure it really was - it might be just an illusion 'coz it was different and lighter, and I've certainly never felt my Gen 2 is slow!
1200 handles impeccably but the Sport felt a shade nimbler & quicker to turn in, again probably 'coz its lighter.
1200 is infinitely more comfortable, especially 2 up. The Sport felt like a wooden bench compared to the 1200 armchair.
1200 has better mid-range torque, the Sport needs more revs and gear changes so can be harder work while the 1200 is effortless.
My XRT has lots of tech stuff that the Sport lacks. You may think Hill Hold, TPMS, heated seats, etc etc are unnecessary fripperies but once you have them you'll see the benefits.
For a bike Triumph sell as part of their "Adventure" range the Sport is remarkably sporty but it doesn't do anything the 1200 can't do as well or better, and I certainly wouldn't want to do long tours or cold wet weather trips on a Sport.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 12:50:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]

My XRT has lots of tech stuff that the Sport lacks. You may think Hill Hold, TPMS, heated seats, etc etc are unnecessary fripperies but once you have them you'll see the benefits.

Amen, brother!

I thought the hill hold was silly and pointless when I bought my TEX, but now I use it every single time I ride.  It's not something I couldn't live without, but it is very handy.  TPMS has possibly saved my bacon 3 times this year by letting me know I had a tire going flat before it became a real (i.e., going hot into a corner) problem.  The bun warmers make cold day more enjoyable.

I have ridden the 1050 Tiger, and like it a lot.  It really depends on the kind of riding you want to do and where and when you want to do it.  Pick the bike that works for you.  If something on the TEX doesn't work for you and that something can't be easily addressed, then I would suggest you not go the TEX route.  It's a lot of money to spend if you think you're going to end up disappointed.

I absolutely loved the sound of the 1050 motor on my Sprint and the the Speed Triples I rode, but that's the only thing I miss since I moved on to the TEX.

Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline tommy tiger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 1200 tiger
  • City / Town: Halstead
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 06:04:30 PM »
hello all, i have had both tiger sport, and 1215 explorer xc, from new and i have to say i much prefer the xc except in hot weather that engine pushes out a [lot] of heat, having recently been riding a gtr1400 what a pleasure to get off that thing and back onto something that steers really well, as for weight i am 6, 2 so not a problem its a road only bike for me and the electric touring screen is much, much, better than a tiger-sport. seat is better than a tiger-sport ,and it has more roll on power than a tiger-sport, i would bet that between 70-110 mph  it would out do the gtr14 in a [top] gear roll on.shaft drive is also handy,  things like fuel consumption are not a concern to be honest it needs what it needs, the xc covers the ground really well and protects the rider better although it feels bigger no idea about the weight difference, i would go for the tiger every time. but that engine pushes out some heat did i mention that before i have heard people who live in hot countries cannot use them in certain months. regards.

Offline seangee

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »
Sport rider here in the interests of balance  :164:

In late 16 I chose the Sport over the TEX and no regrets (but it was close). Can't argue about the screen, suspension or seat but I have fixed every one of those and am happy riding all day in mid winter. 31k in 2 years so I reckon that justifies spending a bit to get it right.

So why did I wander onto this site. Well 31k in 2 years and its itchy seat time again, so I came on to see if there were any negatives about the new bike. What appeals to me most about the 1200:

• LED headlights as standard. Mine has them but its an MOT fail so starting next year I have to swap bulbs one day every year
  • 2 way QS - I have a very arthritic left hand
  • Shaft - might be infuenced by the fact that I'm on my way to the garage to change my C&S  :164:
  • Decent suspension from day 1
  • I do love the 1200 lump - but the 1050 is very nice too, especially with RBW
  • Cruise control switch is on the left and a rocker rather than the 2 silly switches where you can never hit the right one in winter gloves - ok that's just a niggle

If I were starting from scratch I think the 1200 would be a no brainer. As I'm not I am kind of hoping the itchy seat thing will pass because its a lot of cash to stump up. With the mileage I do (and it is all year) both will be almost worthless in a few years time. 

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 02:20:31 PM »
Not a sport, but in August this year I moved from a 2008 Tiger 1050 which is close enough for feel I think.

It should be noted that I put decent suspension on the 1050, and did a lot of touring, including a 5000 mile trip to the Black Sea and back from the UK, so for me it was an entirely adequate tourer once I augmented the tiny luggage in a way that I liked.

I've done 3k on the 1200 so far, not much of it in decent weather for twisties, but I certainly feel that the 1200 is less fun to hustle through bends in comparison - not bad, but not as fun as the 1050. But, I do a lot of touring, and everything else is a significant improvement over my 10 year old bike IMO.

There's a longer version of my thoughts over on the 1050 forum here https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,39332.msg439719.html#msg439719

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
May seem like a dumb question. But what’s a Tiger sport?

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vin829 [+]
May seem like a dumb question. But what’s a Tiger sport?

One of these: https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/adventure/tiger-sport

A more touring biased sibling of the Speed Triple. I believe they are not exported to USA.

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
Ahhhhh. Yea we don’t have those here is the States. Almost looks likes Triumphs version of the BMW XR1000

Recent Topics

nonskid