Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My dealer went out of business.  (Read 1171 times)

Offline 13volunteer

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
My dealer went out of business.
« on: December 22, 2018, 05:23:10 PM »
He initially had ceased being a Triumph stocking dealer.  Then his only Triumph certified mechanic left.  Then I kept noticing shrinking inventory until it was 9 or 10 used bikes, and only one new bike, a Triumph.  Since he was no longer a stocking Triumph dealer, I figured it was old stock. 

I tried to call today and the number was disconnected. 

Bummer.  That means for me to get certified service it's now a 2 hour drive.  There is a local shop that will work on Triumph but they don't have the Triumph software. 

I know that Triumph Inc kept imposing more and more arbitrary and costly demands on my guy, but at the same time, I'm seeing fewer and fewer riders around here. 

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Re: My dealer went out of business.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »
I recommend getting Marks excellent service manual and doing it yourself. It's not that hard, just time consuming. You can get TuneECU or Dealertool to reset the service interval and balance the throttle bodies. Plus it will also save you $$$$$$

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 05:51:16 PM »
I feel for ya. The same scenario has played out three times in my area including the place where I bought my TEX in 2014.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
I recommend getting Marks excellent service manual and doing it yourself. It's not that hard, just time consuming. You can get TuneECU or Dealertool to reset the service interval and balance the throttle bodies. Plus it will also save you $$$$$$
:0461: Also check out the freeware TigerTool for ECU access to dealer functions:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17202.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jake_Hag

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 XCA
  • City / Town: South Dakota
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:38:00 PM »
My dealer in Fargo closed too.  Now I have to go all the way to Minneapolis or Sioux Falls if I need a dealer.  Both are about three and a half hours for me, one way. 

Offline 13volunteer

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 02:06:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jake_Hag [+]
My dealer in Fargo closed too.  Now I have to go all the way to Minneapolis or Sioux Falls if I need a dealer.  Both are about three and a half hours for me, one way.

Triumph Inc, with their arbitrary dealerships rules concerning mandatory motorcycle and accessory inventory is shooting itself in the foot.  I'm in Tulsa and my guy was the only Triumph dealer in eastern Oklahoma.  Now prospective Triumph buyers will be naturally steered to Jap bikes or Harley Davidson.  That will mean lost sales for Triumph.  And this scenario will be repeated in scores of other locations. 

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »
Unfortunately, this has been going on for at least 5 years. And it is an industry trend. OEMs want exclusivity and a 'branding experience'. In the real world, dealers struggle to make ends meet with multiple brands in their showrooms.

Honda was among the first and was rolling out their all-Honda all-equipment (including outboard motors, mowers etc.) power dealerships in 2008 when the recession hit. Many (most?) of those dealers went broke in Canada.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 08:49:48 PM »
I can only see the positives here guys. Sorry hon, got to take a four hour round trip to get my bike serviced. I might get a loaner and spend the day exploring the area or kick back and drink coffee while reading a bike magazine. Two, three hours to the dealer, sweet!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I can only see the positives here guys. Sorry hon, got to take a four hour round trip to get my bike serviced. I might get a loaner and spend the day exploring the area or kick back and drink coffee while reading a bike magazine. Two, three hours to the dealer, sweet!
:001:

Offline Jake_Hag

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 XCA
  • City / Town: South Dakota
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 10:26:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]

I've pretty much came up with the same thought.  Make a two day trip to Minneapolis and the surrounding area out of it. 

Recent Topics