Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Who got you started riding motorcycles?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Who got you started riding motorcycles?
« on: December 22, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
This being Christmas and thinking about family, I thought I would start a thread to ask "Who got you started riding motorcycles?". In my case, it was my dad. Here is his description that goes with the attached photo, taken in 1942:

Here's a few of my old cycle photos. The Indian was about 1937 vintage, I think. I was aged 15 when I drove it all that summer with no license or insurance. I bought it from a friend who had bought it a week earlier. but his mother would not let him keep it. No battery came with it and the generator was not working and, since I had no money to buy one, I just lashed 4 of those big round 1.5 volt dry cells together, connected in series, and it ran fine all summer.

What he did not say here, was that his friend Bob (riding pillion) came over the day that he got the bike running. Dad said, "Want to go for a ride?" He said "Sure" so dad took him around the block. Bob then asked dad "When did you learn how to ride a bike?" and dad told him "Just now..."   :001: 

My dad is still alive. I never saw him ride, except when I brought home my first Honda CB450 in 1972 and he took it around the block. Mom made him give up riding when they got engaged.  :003:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:03:52 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jake_Hag

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 XCA
  • City / Town: South Dakota
Re: Who got you started riding motocycles?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
I've been around motorcycles my whole life because of my dad.  I started on a Honda Z50 back in the early 80's.  I was too little to reach the ground, so I'd ride through the front yard of our lake cabin and yell, "I'm gonna stop now!"  Then I'd make a loop around and my dad would catch me when I stopped.  He had to stop riding last year due to a stroke. 

Offline tigercraig

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 13' Explorer
  • City / Town: Amelia, OH
Re: Who got you started riding motorcycles?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 12:18:05 AM »
I was 12 or 13, dad brought home a Honda 90.  He showed me how to ride it at the playground up the hill from our house.  My dad was the best. 
tigercraig
Gone-84' V45 Honda Sabre, 97' R11RT, 06' ST1300,
Current-13' Tiger Explorer

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 04:57:11 AM »
It was in the summer of '62 and I was 9. We had neighbors that had their grandsons stay with them for a month each summer and we spent most of that time together and they both had small Hondas. The younger brother didn't like to ride that much so I got to ride his bike. I was hooked... :152:
Jon

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »
2017 My mate said, "We're doing a trip around Wales why don't you come?" Having been, regularly, I said "Maybe, but diesel is so expensive at the minute and hauling 3 tonnes of Cruiser round the Welsh lanes is going to cost more than a holiday abroad".

"No he said, we're going on the bikes you idiot." "Oh right, I see. That makes sense, but I don't have a bike" "No problem" says he, "I can lend you one - but drop it and it's yours.."

"That's very kind, but I don't have a bike license"  "Jeez" he said, "It's always excuses with you. Go and get one!"

So, I figured that with my age and having been driving since I was 17, there'd be a form to fill in, £45 to pay and by return I'd get a bike licence.

Best part of £1000 later, I'd done my CBT, Hazard Perception and Theory test, passed the MOD1 second time, failed a mod 2, ridden 1000 miles around Scotland and passed my second MOD 2 on my Explorer the day I got back and been riding ever since covering somewhere around 12k miles through England, Wales, Scotland, France, Germany Belgium and Holland. Now on my second Explorer.

In Spring 2018 my wife declared that any thing I could do, she could do. In June I got her a 125 and now she's proudly riding an 80 Tiger XRT. Yesterday we did a 250 mile round trip to Wales. if it's not raining, I'm on the bike.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
My intro was back in 1970 and was completely by chance. As a teenager I had a halfhearted hankering after a Honda 50 but my Mother wouldn't hear of it. I was also getting into tractors and other farm machinery on an Uncle's farm and that distracted me.

Anyway I was at my girlfriends house one sunday in 1970 or 71 and a friend of her Brothers arrived on a Triumph TRW 500 ex army bike. His name was Liam and he was about to depart to Europe on it. I was looking over the bike with interest and he asked if I had ever ridden a bike. I told a white lie that I had, having sat on one once. Anyway he showed me the controls and gearchange etc and let me off on it. Off out the country roads I went, no helmet, flies in the eyes. I was instantly hooked. I returned and asked if I could take the Girlfriend out on the back. No problem.

Liam was entirely responsible for a monumental change in my life that day. Very soon I got my first bike which was a disaster, but things settled down and I have been riding ever since (almost 50 years) without a break except for a few weeks after I broke my femur playing rugby. I have loved every minute of my motorcycling and do so even more so to this day. Long may that last.     :152:

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »
I reckon it must have been back in the late 60s and I hadnt left school at that point but the lad next door, who was a few years older, had a ratty old Honda step through Cub. I cant remember if it was the C50, 70 or 90 model but he used to take me out on the back of it. One day we went down to the tow path along the Thames at Maidenhead and he let me have a go on it. I damn near put it in the river but I was hooked from that point.

My father wouldnt let me have my own motorcycle even though he rode speedway in the army! However I got my chance in 1975 and I bought my very first bike (Kawasaki KE175) and the rest is history!

Merry Christmas all.

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
For years, I saved the money from delivering newspapers with the single-minded purpose of buying a motorcycle. My high school French teacher happened to mention that her husband was selling a CB450. My friend had been riding for years (started with a Yamaha 80). He went with me to look at it. I bought it on the spot for the asking price. I was 15, so was a few months too young for a license. My friend helped me collect my bike and then we stashed it at my grandma's house until I was ready to break the news to my mom who was dead-set against motorcycles.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
I really can't remember exactly when I started riding motorcycles. I always had an affinity towards two wheels though. I rode my two wheel bicycle without even falling when my dad took off the training wheels. I started doing tricks and making tight turns and scratching the pedals on the ground - I learned very quickly that protrusions on the surface matter.

there was a person who helped out with our hardware store. had had just bought a motorcycle and I wanted to ride it so badly that he let me. I was on it, and he was holding the bars walking next to me. I twisted the throttle too much and he couldn't catch up and we both fell on the side. I was having fun but he wasn't - honest to god I couldn't be more than 8.

I had my first car accident when I was 12. I rammed my grandfather's station wagon to the side of the building when I was trying to navigate between two metal containers - in reverse!

then I realized that I have an affinity towards all vehicles :-D

we had a side-business selling cars and we also sold motorcycles and then I started riding more and more. crashed on a scooter. crashed on a bike. crashed god knows how many times on my bmx. car accidents. they are all blurred into one giant foggy bundle of memories.

my dad never rode motorcycles and I don't have any relatives that do. I just had it in me I guess...

what a nice x-mas thread  :028:

happy holidays y'all!

:821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 08:22:58 PM »
I was in the office one hot summer monday morning and overheard one of the girls telling another about the great time she'd had on the previous day on her boyfriends bike riding up to the Cotswolds. Being a dedicated car man (and rally driver) since I was 17 with no interest in bikes whatsoever I thought to myself it must have been nice on a bike on such a hot sunny day.

A half hour later I got curious and so phoned a local riding school to see what was involved in getting a bike licence... by the time I put the phone down I'd booked a CBT, not even sure why, but that was it.

I was 52 and I'd never sat on a bike in my life but a CBT and two lessons on a 500 followed by a test and I had a licence !  :033:

That was 10 years ago and my first bike was a Yamaha Thundercat 600 sports bike. That changed 2 years later to a Honda Blackbird, then 4 years later again I changed to the Explorer.

So far I've toured 11 countries and don't plan on stopping any time soon. I've seen some amazing places, met lots of great people, made a lot of friends, and I can honestly say overhearing that conversation in the office that day really did change my life.

My wife was less than enthusiastic as she hates bikes... "If you get a bike I'll divorce you", and "If I wanted to marry a tattooed biker I would have"...... the tattoo came later.  :002:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:26:24 PM by NH »
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Recent Topics

nonskid