Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Who got you started riding motorcycles?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Who got you started riding motorcycles?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »
Apart from a washed up (really) moped when I was 18, nothing two-wheeled really came my way until I was 30.

Then I met Mrs NiK who had been a competent rider for years.
She firstly got me as a (185 cm 85 kg) pillion on her '87 VFR, which she didn't really enjoyed ;-)
She litterally took me by the hand to the nearest riding school to get my license ;-)

It was 18 years ago and I never could detach myself from riding ever since.
One of the many things I owe SWMBO ;-)

Offline Graham Keeton

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer&Street Twin
  • City / Town: Uckfield East Sussex
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
I'd always loved bikes, from being taken for rides in my uncles combo when I was a toddler. I got my 1st bike when I was 16, a Honda CB250 K4, and not being old enough to ride it (17 was the limit) never stopped me. I've had bikes ever since, ranging from chops to crotch rockets, Harley's and most things in between. At the moment I have the Explorer, which I bought new in 2012 and a Street Twin - this is currently residing in the front room covered in fairy lights, replacing the normal Christmas tree.

I think once you fall in love with bikes, that's it. I, personally don't care what they are as long as they have 2 wheels and have had as much fun riding a moped as any other bike. I suffer from PTSD and riding my bike makes everything else fade away to nothing. If I could bottle the way it makes me feel, I'd be a very rich man.

So I guess in summary, what got me into riding bikes was the love of all things 'bike' and what has kept me riding bikes is the way it makes me feel.

Happy Christmas everyone

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Then I met Mrs NiK who had been a competent rider for years.
She firstly got me as a (185 cm 85 kg) pillion on her '87 VFR, which she didn't really enjoyed ;-)
She litterally took me by the hand to the nearest riding school to get my license ;-)
What a delightful story! I stopped riding when we had kids (3 of them). Twelve years ago I approached my wife and told her that I was thinking of riding again. Her response was "Good. You need a hobby. You're miserable. But I have one condition. This time, I ride my own bike."  And she went out, and took the training and got her license too.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Graham Keeton [+]
I think once you fall in love with bikes, that's it. I, personally don't care what they are as long as they have 2 wheels and have had as much fun riding a moped as any other bike. I suffer from PTSD and riding my bike makes everything else fade away to nothing. If I could bottle the way it makes me feel, I'd be a very rich man.
Riding a motorcycle (when done properly) is actually a true 'mindfulness' experience that is fully engaging of the senses. It produces an effect that is similar to meditation.  :169:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Riding a motorcycle (when done properly) is actually a true 'mindfulness' experience that is fully engaging of the senses. It produces an effect that is similar to meditation.  :169:

:0461:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 08:11:05 PM »
As a teenager, I wasn't allowed a moped - although I did ride my cousin's FS1E slightly illegally.
At 20 and having left home, I sold my smoky old MGB and ordered a Honda CB250N SuperDream.
On arrival at the dealer's (in Penryn, Cornwall) I bought a jacket and a helmet, paid the balance in cash and asked "how does it work?"
Having been given a basic run through if the controls, I jumped on and have been riding pretty much ever since, on a variety of bikes including 3 Hondas, 2 Kwaks and 2 Triumphs.
I took my test later the same year (1980) in Ashford, Kent.
I've had my Cranberry Red TEx for 4 years and 36,000 miles with lots more planned for the future.

Merry Christmas 🎄🎅🏼 and a Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone.

Phil  :152:

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 11:49:15 PM »
In 1969, my mom was in the hospital with another lady. she introduced me to her son, who rode a Suzuki 120 Stinger. He pointed out that he was selling his Suzuki 80cc and for 10 bucks a week, I bought it. Rode it to school and then started graduated to larger and differnt kinds of bikes. Got hooked on motocross and tt scambles and my life hasn't been the same since. Would not change a thing in regards to riding. :047:

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
It all started when I was a kid and my dad had a motorcycle and side car for the family transport, great fun - if I remember correctly, they were Norton’s , Ajs and Bsa’s. All leaked oil, but good fun and when my older brother was old enough, he had a couple of Bsa’s and then it was my turn to join the fun-  although I needed a bike to commute to work it was still great, 1st a Yamaha FS1E  followed by Hondas and more Yamahas, then a break for family commitments. I returned to biking in 2003, again various makes of bike finally settling down to Triumphs, Daytona and adventure bikes Tigers.

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
Loving these stories.

I guess it’s in the blood for me :001: My grandad had an Indian and Ariel Square 4. Dad had several bikes, the best IMO being a Norton ES2 that he found in a scrap yard and restored. My first bike was a Honda C90 - my dad’s old commuter at 16. Then, one day, he came home from work and said he’d seen a Honda CB250 G5 under a tarp in front of a bloke’s house. Apparently it had stalled when he got home a couple of years prior, so he just threw a tarp over it and left it there. He took £50, and I had my first ‘real’ bike. The clutch had seized, exhaust rotted out and there were a couple of minor electrical issues, but tha was it. Working together on projects like this in the garage with my Dad are amongst my fondest memories. Heading to UEA one time on the G5, I blew a hole through one of the pistons and coated the volvo behind in oil. RAC got it to Norwich, and I ended up rebuilding the engine that winter in my dorm room. A CB250 RS and CX500 followed before leaving for a temporary job in the USA. 30+ years later, still here. Most of those years were without a motorcycle (though lots of mountain biking). When we moved out into the country a few years ago, surrounded by much nicer motorcycling roads and following my Dad’s passing, I decided I needed to be back on a bike, and bought a used gen1 Explorer. I haven’t lusted after much else since, but the new Scrambler 1200 looks superb. This is my oldest son on an XC at a recent event in Detroit. Maybe it will be 4 generations!

Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
My best friends father back around 1969.
My sperm doner bailed on our family around around '62.
Thank God I had some really great friends with fathers that looked after me. I was exposed to motorcycles, hunting & fishing all from outside of my immediate family....truly blessed!
Long live the men who step up and mentor the lost boys. You are the best.

Recent Topics