Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Who got you started riding motorcycles?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Who got you started riding motorcycles?
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2018, 10:37:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Long live the men who step up and mentor the lost boys. You are the best.
:460:  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 08:38:56 PM »
Loving the stories - great stuff !! Totally agree with the lost boys post.
Started at 17 on a Honda CB125J which broke down more often than I actually rode it !! My dad rode but crashed at Dundrod when he was young - never saw him ride - but my mum was not imprerssed when I first turned up with the 125. I quickly bought a Honda CB250 as we could learn on them in those days. 36 years later I've owned a round a hundred bikes, covered hundreds of thousands of miles on them and love it - total addiction !!

Offline organaphus

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
The first machine I can remember riding, was a Mobylette moped with no tyres, on a disused army camp. I went on to own and ride many 'field bikes', some of which would now be worth a fortune. They included several B.S.A. D1 bantams, an A.J.S. 500 single and a D.M.W. Dolomite. My first road bike was a Yamaha 250 YDS5 and once I had a full licence, a B.S.A. Thunderbolt 650, which I still have. I have owned many bikes since, but none compare to my current Tiger 1050 and Explorer. My love affair with Triumph, began with my first visit to the T.T. where, as a youngster, I watched Ray Pickerel win the Production race on a Trident.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »
Not really sure, most memorable was riding on the back on my cousin's Bonnie, late 60's-1970 ? I was probably about 12 at the time and probably sans helmet  :016:

We had a collection of cheap scooters and mopeds that a group of us used to ride up and down the fields till they fell apart and a nieghbour who worked for Wynn's used to build what we went on to call paddock bikes, which he let me crash all round his back garden, in 1974 I bought a secondhand Puch Maxi moped to commute to college and training school on at age 16 and it just went from there  :028:
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 06:23:57 PM »
Friend of the family was in the Merchant Navy and used to send me postcards when he was away; I would have been12 or 13. When he got home off a trip he asked if I wanted to go on the back of his Gold Wing up to his family caravan. Mum and Dad said okay and it was great but I wanted to ride a bike. After trashing some Honda 50/70/90's on the local tips (I never stole any of them, someone else already had  :192:) I realised I needed to ride but no way was I going to be able to get an off-road bike as we were broke.

I joined the Merch myself at 16 and on my first trip hired a small Honda (somewhere around 150 or 175cc) in St Thomas VI and loved it. Bought a CB100N when I got home on leave, put a bloody big fairing on it and rode it every day for mile after mile. The rest is history.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline tommy tiger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 1200 tiger
  • City / Town: Halstead
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2018, 05:36:44 PM »
 i have a similar story to dilbert and organphus  we had fields and scrublands at the back of our houses and the [big kids] had a couple of old brit bikes 350-500 ajs we would hang around until they needed fuel the [big kids] would give us a petrol can we then fetch petrol and maybe get a go on the back ,then one day i got a go on the front !!i thought i was sitting on a rocket ship at twelve i was hooked well and truly  , that was it i asked my dad to buy me a bike and he did, went on to own all sorts of bikes 350 ohc velocete  speed twins, matchess g9 500cc, ajs and several bsa singles. and a panther. all bought for about £7.00 each yep thats right the most expensive was the g9 jampot rear shocks at £10 a lot of money in the early and middles sixties i was around twelve, i do wish i had kept them all. i have had a bike ever since no breaks to bring up kids, thank god. 

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 05:55:32 PM »
Growing up, we lived on the edge of town. My friend got a Yamaha GT80 Enduro for trail riding. At that time Honda mini bikes were all the rage. Try as I did, I could not get my dad to allow me to have one. My friend's father forbid him to let anyone ride his GT80. At some point, they acquired a New Hudson moped, which barely ran. I took that on the trails a couple of times, but it was obviously not ideal.  :038:  That was about all the dirt riding I have done.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics