Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How do I display DTC history on a Tiger 1200?  (Read 513 times)

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
How do I display DTC history on a Tiger 1200?
« on: December 24, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »
I've searched, but can't find on this forum, how to show the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) history/status on my 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt.
Can someone enlighten me?
I assume the codes are the same as for previous models.  (I found those.)

I want to check any codes, because I had one of those bike-won't--start episodes, and it turns out my battery is flat.
(I assume and hope that is because I left my GPS powered up while parked for a couple of days.  But never happened before.)
I have been intermittently getting some TSAS errors, but they don't stop the bike from starting.
Battery is currently on charge.  :)

I can confirm that when the battery is low, the ECU acts pretty whacky.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: How do I display DTC history on a Tiger 1200?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 08:52:17 AM »
I don't know if there is any user accessible way to list the DTCs (I never had several of them at once). You can make the current error appear at startup, but I'm not even sure that a complete history of errors does persist inside the incredibly ill-designed T1200 ECU.

In my experience, Triumph bikes (from my first '97 Steamer) always acted unpredictably in low battery conditions.

However, I can't find any excuse for it today. Writing a software that behaves in a useful way in such condition is no rocket science. This is called error handling and is one of the first things I used to teach to computer newbies, back in the 90s. Nowadays, bad error handling is one of the surest way for hackers to compromise a system.

Triumph decisions regarding ECU software are crap.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: How do I display DTC history on a Tiger 1200?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 09:21:00 AM »
On my 2017, you turn on the ignition while holding the menu select button.

The error code(s) will appear on the screen- it will cycle through any current codes or codes that haven't been cleared.

I would think that it would be something similar on the Gen 3 models.

It seemed a really stupid way to access them- why not just add a tab to one of the menus?  A DTC shouldn't need to be a super-secret item.  They should readily and easily accessible at any time.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Recent Topics

nonskid