Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Tiger 1200xcx  (Read 670 times)

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200xcx
New Tiger 1200xcx
« on: December 28, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
Well I finally picked up my new Tiger 1200 that replaces my 15 plate TEX xc which was a good bike, so here are a few initial observations from the ride home. I went for the xcx but added the heated seats, fog lights and up/down quick-shifter.

In summary, this is undoubtedly a more refined and much better handling bike with sharper brakes and irrespective of the debates and opinions about weight it definitely 'feels' lighter both on the move and at standstill/pushing it around. So whatever Triumph have done, its worked. Its still a big bike but feels more manageable. This bike has also lost that slight agricultural feeling of my previous 15 plate model and is far more nimble and planted in corners. The new dash is just ace and is so intuitive and easy to use. Brilliant. I also think the back-lit switchgear is a really nice touch and the quick-shifter works flawlessly and even better than the one on my zx10 track bike  :027: 

I'm unconvinced by the keyless ignition or electronic steering lock which seem to be solutions to problems that simply don't exist and is likely to cause confusion and potentially problems rather than be helpful, especially as you need the key for everything else! I think triumph could have been braver rather than follow the crowd and just not bothered; I would have rather had the hill-hold or adaptive headlights as std on the xcx. The other oddity is that with the addition of the fog (adventure lights) you cant have the LED's on!? If the dealer had told me that I probably wouldn't have bothered. Apparently too much glare when used together. So sort of defeats the use of either when on the bike together, if you get my drift!? The other slight niggle is the slightly grabby clutch when pulling away from lights but I’m hoping that goes away as it beds in.

Has it blown me away..no, BUT its definitely a better motorcycle and with the extra features and technology I think I'll grow to really like this bike, especially as I get used to it and tweak it to suit. Good effort Triumph, I'm glad I bought it already  :821:. Roll on spring.....

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:20:54 PM by Coops!! »

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
Re: New Tiger 1200xcx
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
May you enjoy many happy and healthy miles on it brother. Happy holidays and happy new year. That's a good new year present right there :-D
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:03:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
May you enjoy many happy and healthy miles on it brother. Happy holidays and happy new year. That's a good new year present right there :-D

Thanks and same to you  :821:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »
The other slight niggle is the slightly grabby clutch when pulling away from lights but I’m hoping that goes away as it beds in.
I noted this complaint in the November issue of Ride magazine. The mag staff held their fleet sports day where they compare their Ride fleet (8 bikes) in a series of challenges including 100 metre sprint, figure-of-eight, top speed, emergency stop and slow race.

They currently have a 2018 XRT current ridden by Simon Weir. He noted in the slow race that the T12 has "very little clutch slip - it's basically on or off - and it is a very heavy machine." He states that "it wants to move forwards at a smooth, elegantly controlled 5 mph" but not any slower. His T12 had 8800 miles on it at the time of the sports day.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline neilacwilson

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 no3
  • City / Town: North London
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 09:05:14 AM »
Coops - re the keyless ignition, be particularly careful with that spangly new key fob when opening the rear seat to stash a disc lock or whatever. You will still be able to start the bike and ride off, no problem. But you will eventually get the 'fob out of range' message on the dash as the key falls out of the lock under the rear light unit where you had completely forgotten to remove it from. In that moment of self flagilation, as you call yourself every name in the book, DO NOT switch off the bike, whatever you do, until you have the emergency key to hand. You can then wait until the next day before you admire the commercial acumen of Triumph as your local dealer cheerfully informs you of the cost of a replacement fob.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 09:07:21 AM by neilacwilson »

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 09:31:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by neilacwilson [+]
Coops - re the keyless ignition, be particularly careful with that spangly new key fob when opening the rear seat to stash a disc lock or whatever. You will still be able to start the bike and ride off, no problem. But you will eventually get the 'fob out of range' message on the dash as the key falls out of the lock under the rear light unit where you had completely forgotten to remove it from. In that moment of self flagilation, as you call yourself every name in the book, DO NOT switch off the bike, whatever you do, until you have the emergency key to hand. You can then wait until the next day before you admire the commercial acumen of Triumph as your local dealer cheerfully informs you of the cost of a replacement fob.

One example of the sort of silly problems that might happen with the keyless ignition! Have you done that!?

Offline neilacwilson

• Explorer Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 12:19:58 PM »
I actually did it twice and got away with it.  Third time, not so lucky!

I have since obtained an old, spare fob from my dealer which I have had programmed to the bike and leave it zipped in my jacket liner. I carry one of the (now deprogrammed) spares as my fuel key. The pristine replacement fob is locked in the safe so I can’t lose it again before I sell the bike.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:25:56 PM by neilacwilson »

Offline Coops!!

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »
.....small thing to add; the heated grips don’t seem to get particularly warm, sufficient but not what I expected.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 06:56:51 PM »
Triumph please listen to your customers - dump the keyless or have it as an option asap  !  this just an example of poor design and not enough of the correct  " voice of customer " questions   :151:
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline neilacwilson

• Explorer Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 09:09:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
Triumph please listen to your customers - dump the keyless or have it as an option asap  !  this just an example of poor design and not enough of the correct  " voice of customer " questions   :151:

In fairness, the issue is not the keyless ignition system per se but rather that the auxiliary locks on the tank/seat are not integrated as yet. I understand this required a full redesign of the fuel tank (gen 2 carry over) as there was insufficient internal space with the current air box design, so was dropped for cost reasons in this iteration.

Recent Topics