Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front Wheel Bearings  (Read 894 times)

Offline Jon777

• Explorer Member
  • Really?
Re: Front Wheel Bearings
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 06:53:55 PM »
12k miles and my front bearings were rusted to hell. Only knew this as I had the front wheel repainted after paint came off while having a new tyre fitted. Had to remove/replace the bearings anyway but the old ones were in pretty poor shape. Bike was 3 months old when I got it and I never used a pressure washer on it so I'm guessing someone must have at some point for water to get in, otherwise the seals must have been pretty poor...…….

Offline triumphpip

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 07:10:13 PM »
Had to change mine at 20 thou, collapsed on one side . No wheelies or jet washing either
[]D[][]D

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:41:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon777 [+]
12k miles and my front bearings were rusted to hell. Only knew this as I had the front wheel repainted after paint came off while having a new tyre fitted. Had to remove/replace the bearings anyway but the old ones were in pretty poor shape. Bike was 3 months old when I got it and I never used a pressure washer on it so I'm guessing someone must have at some point for water to get in, otherwise the seals must have been pretty poor...…….

My first set, the ones that completely collapsed, were rusted badly. Had it from new and never pressure washed and only ever crossed a stream on it once.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Online Skipper

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Pontypridd
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »
My Generation 2 Tex went in for a 20000 mile service to the dealers at the start of the last summer and it came back with a note saying that the front wheel bearings needed replacing as there was some play in them. I was a bit confused as I had just replaced the front tyre and checked the wheel bearings and there was no play or notchiness. I dismantled the front wheel again and checked and there was no play. I was mindful that my General 1 Tex needed the front wheel bearings replaced at about 20000. Setting off for Austria I bought some front wheel bearings (cheap enough) just in case but after 6000 miles including a trip to France, Andorra and Spain as well I'm pleased to say the replacement wheel bearings are still in my top box. Just goes to show that you can't rely on so called dealer trained mechanics for simple issues. I think what he saw was a smear of copper slip that I had coated the bearings in when it was dismantled and presumed that they were beginning to fail.

Recent Topics

nonskid