Author Topic: Front Wheel Bearings  (Read 2894 times)

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
Re: Front Wheel Bearings
Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 07:40:20 PM
UPDATE AND SUMMARY ON MY FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS

After my original bearings failed at 30k. and not being able to get a set of Triumph bearings in time for a trip. I replaced them with a set delivered overnight from Wemoto. These bearings failed shortly afterwards and Wemoto sent me replacement set, this set also failed within 6 months. As well as the bearings and seals I'd also replaced the two outer spacers as a matter of routine. 

After this third bearing failure I bought another set of genuine Triumph bearings and seals and took the bike to a friend who's a first class bike technician. He confirmed the bearings were wrecked again and fitted the Triumph set. He then spent some time investigating possible causes of why the bearings were failing, rather than just assuming the bearing quality was poor. After a lot of careful examination of everything he told me he suspected the centre spacer between the bearings was too short. I told him it was the original part as fitted to the bike from new but he said him money was still on it being too short.   

I ordered a Triumph centre spacer and he took the wheel back off and fitted the new spacer. He was right, the original was about 1-2mm shorter than the new part. That was a few thousand miles ago and it's been perfect ever since. It's hard to see how the centre spacer could have shrunk or been crushed but that millimetre or two causes the bearings to fail.   

I'd highly recommend that when replacing the front bearings you replace all three spacers as a precaution, they don't cost silly money and you might save yourself a lot of grief.  :028:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 09:53:53 AM
 :464: again...!

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 03:47:07 AM
 :0461: Excellent post. I'll remember this info. Maybe...
Jon

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 09:08:36 AM
 :0461: A 'short' spacer is a classic cause for premature bearing failure that is often overlooked. I learned this the hard way years ago, replacing bearings & have them fail quickly on a bike. Now if I change bearings I always measure & compare the spacer to factory spec.

Online Xtof

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrt '19
  • City / Town: Antwerpen
Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 10:35:45 AM
Sorry to hear you had to 'take the hit'... but thanks for sharing and warning us.
Good info to know.

Cheers! Xtof