Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.  (Read 2275 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: 13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 12:24:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dragon88 [+]
In my opinion the hub has begun to "walk" on the splines and the softer aluminium has gradually worn. I believe many of the so called bearing failures attributed to rear wheel wobble are actually this hub failing.

Bike has circa 57,000klms and has seen extensive, 2 up use in some pretty harsh conditions. I will contact Triumph though I suspect that it will be a sorry we cant do anything type of thing. I will also look at alternate engineering solutions
I would certainly think this is a safety issue. The circlip seems a pretty weak backup. Obviously, the hub was not meant to be separated for servicing.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 12:31:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I would certainly think this is a safety issue. The circlip seems a pretty weak backup. Obviously, the hub was not meant to be separated for servicing.

Its fucking ridiculous if you ask me.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 01:32:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dragon88 [+]
Its ing ridiculous if you ask me.
:0461:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline RoadWarrior1978

• Ex Member
  • Bike: Exploer XCx
  • City / Town: Magor
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 07:31:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I'm not sure that there is a central nut. Looking at the OEM service manual, it looks like the hub may be heat shrunk onto the splines and held in place with a large circlip. Maybe "held in place" is wrong. The circlip may just be there for incidents like this -- in case the hub comes loose...  :155:

Yep,  your right.  I was going from memory,  just had a look at mine and there's nothing to be done until it's done.  don't you just love these non user serviceable components, I wouldn't mind so much if the price of replacements wasn't £1400+.

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
don't you just love these non user serviceable components, I wouldn't mind so much if the price of replacements wasn't £1400+.
There are various used units on Ebay UK at around £350 - worth a look? also a 2017 XRx unit at £450- not sure if they are compatible but do believe the later ones had some changes - which should read improved reliability and a 2017 is likely to have had less miles on it.

always have a worry about the FD when fully loaded 2 up on tour in Europe - they do take a hammering

Chippy
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Offline RoadWarrior1978

• Ex Member
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 09:59:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
There are various used units on Ebay UK at around £350 - worth a look? also a 2017 XRx unit at £450- not sure if they are compatible but do believe the later ones had some changes - which should read improved reliability and a 2017 is likely to have had less miles on it.

always have a worry about the FD when fully loaded 2 up on tour in Europe - they do take a hammering

Chippy

That's fair comment,  but for someone like me who is prepared to get in there with the tools.  I'd much sooner spend probably half that on the actual parts necessary, some bearings, seals and a few hours of my time.

The result should be a FD as good as new with the minimum amount of waste possible and the least money spent.

Idealistic I know but we bin far to much.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by RoadWarrior1978 [+]
Yep,  your right.  I was going from memory,  just had a look at mine and there's nothing to be done until it's done.  don't you just love these non user serviceable components, I wouldn't mind so much if the price of replacements wasn't £1400+.
Not sure about this, but I wonder if there is an opportunity to press the hub back on its spline and weld it in place? Knowing that separating these parts is not required for servicing, would one dare to clean and coat the splines with JB Weld and press it back together?

Offline RoadWarrior1978

• Ex Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »
Looks like I was slightly over on my estimate.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 06:36:28 PM »
That would be about C$2070 (US$1518) to me on this side of the pond.   :005:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
It is worth noting that Triumph has provided parts for known issues out of warranty at no cost if the owner approaches Triumph corporate. This includes the head replacement for MY '12 to '14 Gen1 TEXs. The deal is usually Triumph provides the parts and the current owner pays the labor.

Recent Topics