Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.  (Read 2272 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: 13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
My feeling now is that Triumph should make good on this and issue a safety recall. Having the rear wheel hub (and rear wheel/tire) come loose -- considering that the hub was designed to NEVER be separated from the final drive -- is a huge safety issue that needs to be addressed with a recall. Triumph simply cannot argue that this is a maintenance or wear issue.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 08:13:18 PM »
That's fair comment,  but for someone like me who is prepared to get in there with the tools.  I'd much sooner spend probably half that on the actual parts necessary, some bearings, seals and a few hours of my time.

The result should be a FD as good as new with the minimum amount of waste possible and the least money spent.

Idealistic I know but we bin far to much.
Agreed if you have access to the right bits or the facilities to manufacture

Tend to agree with CaptainTrips though - this failing at any speed is a safety issue which should be addressed by Triumph
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
Tend to agree with CaptainTrips though - this failing at any speed is a safety issue which should be addressed by Triumph
Not long ago, BMW issued a recall on the R1200RT for rear hubs that could crack if the wheel studs are over torqued. I believe that the recall went back to 2005 models.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 01:37:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Not sure about this, but I wonder if there is an opportunity to press the hub back on its spline and weld it in place? Knowing that separating these parts is not required for servicing, would one dare to clean and coat the splines with JB Weld and press it back together?

I have already designed a solution. Will post pics as I progress.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 01:39:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by RoadWarrior1978 [+]
That's fair comment,  but for someone like me who is prepared to get in there with the tools.  I'd much sooner spend probably half that on the actual parts necessary, some bearings, seals and a few hours of my time.

The result should be a FD as good as new with the minimum amount of waste possible and the least money spent.

Idealistic I know but we bin far to much.

Mate, with all due respect if you think you can rebuild a complete FD assembly in a few hours you're veryt much mistaken.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 01:40:27 AM »
My feeling now is that Triumph should make good on this and issue a safety recall. Having the rear wheel hub (and rear wheel/tire) come loose -- considering that the hub was designed to NEVER be separated from the final drive -- is a huge safety issue that needs to be addressed with a recall. Triumph simply cannot argue that this is a maintenance or wear issue.

I am going to press them hard. I firmly believe that the many failures reported are NOT bearings. It is this hub walking off the splined crown wheel shaft.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 02:16:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dragon88 [+]
I am going to press them hard. I firmly believe that the many failures reported are NOT bearings. It is this hub walking off the splined crown wheel shaft.
I'm not totally sure about this. Most rear hub complaints on this forum have included reports of oil leaks if I remember correctly. Looking forward to see how your repair progresses.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 02:37:31 AM »
I'm not totally sure about this. Most rear hub complaints on this forum have included reports of oil leaks if I remember correctly. Looking forward to see how your repair progresses.

Yes mate, I meant the side play complaints. I assumed I had a bearing failure until I got it onto a lift and started inspecting. I thought I'd dodged a bullet with it just being the hub....no such luck USD$2500 where I am for a unit.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 11:50:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by RoadWarrior1978 [+]
You might not be able too.

I get customers coming into my motorcycle repair shop all the time who think they know how long a job will take. I repair motorcycles for a living so I'll leave this one go thru to the keeper. ;)

Offline Jon777

• Explorer Member
  • Really?
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
During a routine check, found my 2015 Gen1 with 15k miles had excessive play at the rear wheel. Presumed it was bearing but could have just as easily have been wear on the splines same as this. Fix would have been the same though, replacement diff at £1200 plus labour costs. Never did found out what it was as I part-ex'd it instead  :305:

Recent Topics

nonskid