Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.  (Read 1374 times)

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
Re: 13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 12:32:14 AM »
I’ve had total failures of bmw 1150 and 1200 rear bearings at speed. It is not fun. Allot of stress on non axle final drives.  I always thought this system was limited.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 11:46:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]
I’ve had total failures of bmw 1150 and 1200 rear bearings at speed. It is not fun. Allot of stress on non axle final drives.  I always thought this system was limited.
I agree. While a single-sided swingarm may be sexy, a standard double swingarm with an axle and a captive wheel seems to make a lot more sense. I could change all four of the rear bearings on my old ST1300 rear for $80 and find them at any industrial bearing vendor.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2019, 12:02:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by anaheimtex [+]

I agree, however, in my case, everything is perfect aside from the hub failure. I think a retainer is required rather than just a circlip as a redundancy. If it was retained then it would not be able to walk on the crown wheel shaft and therefore it couldnt wear to the degree of causing a failure.

As an aside, Triumph have recognised there is an issue that should never have occured and are now determining how best to proceed. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2019, 12:44:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dragon88 [+]
As an aside, Triumph have recognised there is an issue that should never have occured and are now determining how best to proceed. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
That's good news. Please keep us posted. And I'm still interested in your thoughts regarding a possible repair.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid