Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »
G'day guys. 2013 TEX XC developed a nasty wobble. Rear wheel had significant play and on closer inspection it is the aluminium hub that slides onto the crown wheel shaft that has failed. The splined hub is as loose as a dick in a shirt sleeve and unfortunately this is apparently not sold as a seperate part and requires...at least according to the parts manual...a complete and very costly new final drive.

Question; does anyone happen to have a spare that they dont need? Perhaps someone who has needed a new bevel drive and has the old one kicking around. Would be more than happy to pay.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers guys.

Offline RoadWarrior1978

• Ex Member
  • Bike: Exploer XCx
  • City / Town: Magor
Re: 13 TEX Rear Hub Failure. NOT BEARING.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »
These final drive units seem to suffer more than their fair share of failures,  what in your opinion was the cause on this occasion?

I only ask as maybe it's possible to do something to prevent similar problems on other bikes.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
How many miles has it done ? might be worth a shout to Triumph - could they do something special ? - should be some broken units somewhere - they have sold enough now - good luck   
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 06:33:35 PM »
Is loose because of wear or worn because it came loose?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline RoadWarrior1978

• Ex Member
  • Bike: Exploer XCx
  • City / Town: Magor
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it could be worth slackening and retorquing the central nut at the annual service and possibly grease the splines at the same time.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 10:59:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by RoadWarrior1978 [+]
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it could be worth slackening and retorquing the central nut at the annual service and possibly grease the splines at the same time.
I'm not sure that there is a central nut. Looking at the OEM service manual, it looks like the hub may be heat shrunk onto the splines and held in place with a large circlip. Maybe "held in place" is wrong. The circlip may just be there for incidents like this -- in case the hub comes loose...  :155:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:01:33 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by RoadWarrior1978 [+]
These final drive units seem to suffer more than their fair share of failures,  what in your opinion was the cause on this occasion?

I only ask as maybe it's possible to do something to prevent similar problems on other bikes.

In my opinion the hub has begun to "walk" on the splines and the softer aluminium has gradually worn. I believe many of the so called bearing failures attributed to rear wheel wobble are actually this hub failing.

Bike has circa 57,000klms and has seen extensive, 2 up use in some pretty harsh conditions. I will contact Triumph though I suspect that it will be a sorry we cant do anything type of thing. I will also look at alternate engineering solutions

https://cdn.img.tiger-explorer.com/Modified-3.jpg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:22:14 PM by Dragon88 »

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 11:18:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I'm not sure that there is a central nut. Looking at the OEM service manual, it looks like the hub may be heat shrunk onto the splines and held in place with a large circlip. Maybe "held in place" is wrong. The circlip may just be there for incidents like this -- in case the hub comes loose...  :155:

This is correct.

Offline Dragon88

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 11:34:00 PM »
In addition, every other aspect of the drive was in excellent condition. Uni joints, bearings, seals etc. Certainly in my opinion far less issue with these than the BMW FD's that are regularly giving up the ghost

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 12:06:27 AM »
eBay. Saw one there for $300. Used I’m sure but might be worth a shot. I was actually going to pick one up and keep it around.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Recent Topics

nonskid