Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph top box lock barrel change.  (Read 332 times)

Offline Fen

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 800
  • City / Town: WIRRAL
Triumph top box lock barrel change.
« on: January 02, 2019, 10:20:01 AM »
Triumph top box lock barrel..
How do i remove it from the top box and fit new one..?
Anybody any ideas.
Not as easy as the videos on here make out.
Thanks in advance.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: Triumph top box lock barrel change.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
I've not seen the video on here so I cant comment on that, but you need a lock pick tool or similar with a small hooked end..a point end will work but its a bit trickier ..you  insert the tool until it bottoms , grab the slide at the bottom and slide it up or down depending on how the cylinder is situated ..then pull the barrel out.

This retention system is similar cross many locks, so I've quite a few...it really is very simple once you get a hang of it.

you can practice with the new cylinder since you will be able to see exactly what it is your doing ..once you have mastered it, move on to the one you need removed  :821:

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
Fen,

I own both a 2013 Trophy and a 2015 Explorer.  The issue of pannier and top box locks has been discussed at length on the Trophy forum, here is the best one with a diagram of a tool you can fabricate.

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,3701.0.html 

Good Luck and Ride Safe

ZShyster

Offline bloodboy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX Low
  • City / Town: Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »
Hi ZShyster
Unless I am doing something wrong, I could not see the pictures of the tool. Do you have to be a member of the Trophy forum to see them ?

I made a tool from a wire coat hanger as per the description on the Explorer forum, but no luck on getting the lock out as yet, so would appreciate the drawings/photos to try again.
Cheers
Life is too short for plain biscuits.

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:21:22 PM »
Hi Fen

I reckon your best bet is to remove the existing lock mechanism (6 screws from the inside) take it to your local tame locksmith and I'm sure he would have the old barrel out in seconds. Your new barrel then simply slots in.

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:55:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by bloodboy [+]
Hi ZShyster
Unless I am doing something wrong, I could not see the pictures of the tool. Do you have to be a member of the Trophy forum to see them ?

I made a tool from a wire coat hanger as per the description on the Explorer forum, but no luck on getting the lock out as yet, so would appreciate the drawings/photos to try again.
Cheers

This Is what mine looks like.....Its part of a master lock pick set but you should be able to get just this one piece at any store that carries lock tools...

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »
Here is the picture from the trophy forum

ZShyster

Recent Topics

nonskid