Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Have sold the TEX  (Read 1708 times)

Online trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Have sold the TEX
« on: January 03, 2019, 07:25:57 AM »
Well....I'm likely off the air fullas...as I have sold my TEX. Traded it on a new T120 Bonneville. Took a hammering on the trade price..getting NZ$14k back from NZ$26k when bought new in May 15. Had 20,000km. I sold for two reasons: always struggled with the high centre of gravity and since breaking my wrist in April this year.. I found it really difficult even to prise it up off the side stand and turn it around on the garage floor. Second...I was becoming paranoid about head problems. My s/n was near the top end of those affected by the supposed soft valve guide issue. I didn't know about that till about 5 months ago..with the bike over a year out of warranty with 19k k's on it. Every time I started it up in the garage I would tell myself it was a bit noisier than before. Likely it was..about the same as my Sprint GT was...but frankly I could not be faffed with the stress of not knowing whether my motor was a hand grenade or not.
I miss it terribly. It was the best of all my bikes to ride. Strong, fast, well planted, perfect for pillion and luggage.  I just never factored in the possibility of such a major defect. Were it not for the head problem...I likely would have found a way to have stuck with it. For that I remain piffed with Triumph. A seriously inadequate way to deal with a serious motor defect. My dealer in NZ does not even know of this problem. So I traded it back to them.
However I also have no regrets about the Bonnie..I  wanted that too.
All the best guys..thanks for the help given...stay safe.
Regards
Mark

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Have sold the TEX
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »
My dealer in NZ does not even know of this problem. So I traded it back to them.
Sadly, the odds are good that the next owner of your TEX will be posting here because the new-to-him bike he bought blew up.  :003:

Good luck with your new Bonny.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »
Good luck with your new bike matey and keep the rubber side down. Idiotic dealers ruin the motorcycle experience for many riders in many brands. Triumph is no exception, sadly...

See you out there
 :821:  :305:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline 13volunteer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »
"..bought new in May 15."

It was a 2015?

"..I was becoming paranoid about head problems. My s/n was near the top end of those affected by the supposed soft valve guide issue."

Is this something owners of 2015 TEXs can find on the Triumph website?

I just found this on another thread:  "I'm 5 10 on a 2014 and feel OK. Sure it feels tall..particularly when pushing it out of the garage..comes up near my chest. But I don't follow how lowering would have a averted a spill on slippery grass with a slope....?"

The bike is a 2014?  You bought it new in '15?  I ask because mine is a '15 I bought in '16.  Except my dealer/service shop recently closed which was one of only two such shops in the entire state. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:37:06 PM by 13volunteer »

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:17:46 PM »
Took a hammering on trade in valve? Sounds like you made out.
A few years ago I traded in a car that needed a new engine. Without the engine issue I could have got twice what the dealership gave me. I was pleased to get out from underneath it.
Again, you made out. Putting 19K miles on a new bike in 3 1/2 years=losing half its original purchase price here in the states, no matter what bike it is in most cases.
I bought a new Triumph Scrambler (2015) that I soon discovered was not the bike for me. I stuck it out for 1 1/2 years trying to make it my oun....didn't work out. I sold it privately and really took a bath. It's ok because I now have a bike that is much more suited for my current needs.
If it fits you well, the T120 will be a fine bike for you.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 05:23:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by 13volunteer [+]

It was a 2015?

"..I was becoming paranoid about head problems. My s/n was near the top end of those affected by the supposed soft valve guide issue."

I just found this on another thread:  "I'm 5 10 on a 2014 and feel OK. Sure it feels tall..particularly when pushing it out of the garage..comes up near my chest. But I don't follow how lowering would have a averted a spill on slippery grass with a slope....?"

The bike is a 2014?  You bought it new in '15?  I ask because mine is a '15 I bought in '16.  Except my dealer/service shop recently closed which was one of only two such shops in the entire state.
As per the following thread, we know that the soft valve guide affected models extended into the 2014 model year (VIN up to 602960):

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17800.20.html
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:26:41 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »
Here is a copy of the service bulletin numbers that trigger the head replacement for the soft valve guide issue (see attached).

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by 13volunteer [+]

It was a 2015?

I started a new topic that summarizes all the pertinent information about noisy top end, soft valve guide, head replacement issue in one post:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17989.0.html

Online trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 05:50:44 AM »
It was a 2014 model - bought new in 2015.

19k - KILOs not MILES!!! That is about 12k miles in your lingo Gringo! :001:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:54:59 AM by trade_nancy »

Online trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 06:01:01 AM »
Hope to catch up with your chat for a while
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 06:26:05 AM by trade_nancy »

Recent Topics