Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Have sold the TEX  (Read 1045 times)

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCA 2017
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Re: Have sold the TEX
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »
I traded mine for one of the same reasons as you- THE HEAD.

The rattle was sounding worse every time i started it.

I used to ride it every day when i first purchsed it 2nd hand at 4k miles but as my 4th year of ownership started and at about 18k miles- the sheer maths of its trade in value against a newer Tiger 1200 vs having the head replaced stacked in my favour.

Like you, i love the style/weight/long-distance capability/power. Id ridden works GS1200'S for 12 years, but that ended when my employer sold his Firm.
I went 'Triumph' because cost-mainly. BMW's are expensive to fix when they break- and they do! Service-items are not cheap and there are a raft of items that do fail- i went through 3 of them in 12 years- but i wasnt picking up the bill!

I think you made a wise cost-based change.
Patrick J Morgan

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 08:35:36 PM »
These threads always make me nervous, I just had to go and check the VIN number of my 2014 Gen 1. It starts 680... so I'm hoping mine has the hard guides. On 33,000 miles at the moment.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Online trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Manawatu
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:46:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by PatM [+]
I traded mine for one of the same reasons as you- THE HEAD.

The rattle was sounding worse every time i started it.

I used to ride it every day when i first purchsed it 2nd hand at 4k miles but as my 4th year of ownership started and at about 18k miles- the sheer maths of its trade in value against a newer Tiger 1200 vs having the head replaced stacked in my favour.

Like you, i love the style/weight/long-distance capability/power. Id ridden works GS1200'S for 12 years, but that ended when my employer sold his Firm.
I went 'Triumph' because cost-mainly. BMW's are expensive to fix when they break- and they do! Service-items are not cheap and there are a raft of items that do fail- i went through 3 of them in 12 years- but i wasnt picking up the bill!

I think you made a wise cost-based change.
Cheers. I agree. Mine as far as I know was still running and sounding normal. I was just becoming too fixated on it's possible outcome and hearing every tick and clack of the normally noisy engine. As I mentioned - my previous bike - Sprint GT 1050 - made same level of noise. I asked my dealer back in 2015 just weeks after I bought it - "I heard about head problems on these....what about mine"..salesman told me - "yours has had all required fixes/services done INCLUDING new ECU - don't worry". So I sold it back to them. Back in their hands. I did not mention to them about my worries. In New Zealand - we have consumer protection legislation. The law allows for buyer protection beyond warranty. In this case if my bike failed - I would likely be in a good space - dealer and Triumph would have to pay for repair. Even a new fridge, TV etc is covered here..so if it goes on the Fritz - say after 4 years and you have a 2 year warranty.....The Consumer Affairs people have determined that the acceptable life expectancy for a TV is say 8 years..and 4 years and fail is not OK. Works. Retailers and distributors hate it....they can't sell many extended warranties here. Only protects domestic buyers. Business purchases not covered.
Also - in my view..if as Cap'n Tripps has indicated...the new owner of my bike will end up with an INEVITABLE head fail....it is absolutely back to Triumph to stand up - even now and retrospectively make good on ALL the affected bikes. An advice to all owners should have gone out suggesting a head job. It is worse than sloppy, or a "bit poor"..it is irresponsible and unethical to sell a high performance motorcycle with a known engine defect that could lead to catastrophic failure, injury and death. Cripes - even in their owners book they tell you how dangerous it is to say put in bad oil or the wrong coolant....but when it suited their case - safety and engine reliability were put aside in favour of reducing warranty obligations.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:54:15 PM by trade_nancy »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 09:34:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by trade_nancy [+]
Also - in my view..if as Cap'n Tripps has indicated...the new owner of my bike will end up with an INEVITABLE head fail....it is absolutely back to Triumph to stand up - even now and retrospectively make good on ALL the affected bikes. An advice to all owners should have gone out suggesting a head job. It is worse than sloppy, or a "bit poor"..it is irresponsible and unethical to sell a high performance motorcycle with a known engine defect that could lead to catastrophic failure, injury and death. Cripes - even in their owners book they tell you how dangerous it is to say put in bad oil or the wrong coolant....but when it suited their case - safety and engine reliability were put aside in favour of reducing warranty obligations.
In your original post, you said that were concerned that the noise was getting worse every time you started it up. I can't fault you for unloading the bike. But someone will buy it and COULD have a bad experience.

Triumph allegedly budgeted 3M BP for head replacements. But evidently, they felt that the majority of bikes within the VIN range were not affected. The ECU was a recall. The head replacement was not. As documented in my pinned thread, Triumph has been making good with owners of these out of warranty bikes on a per case basis for the cost of the parts. Also the repairs came with an additional 1-year warranty, which could be worth something if you were trying to resell the bike.

Generally, the advice offered on this forum from the beginning was, if you bike was within the VIN range, get the head replacement done.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:37:53 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCA 2017
  • City / Town: Maidstone
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 10:24:51 PM »
@Trade_nancy- Dealers in UK are shocking! They have snouts in trough with Manufacturers and get black-marks for leniency.

Ive many stories i wont bore you with but the worst tend to be the most expensive from my experience- Landrover are very poor and the warantees are very expensive- #1200 a year for my RRS.

My '13 plate TEX started to rattle when first started- it was ok once it was running- but this year it got noisy after a run- usually over 30 miles. That was my warning and i started to read on this Forum and it gave me the willies!

ive got an old MGTF thats the twin-cam VVC  version and thats noisy -but thats 20 years old and I accept it as its hydro lifters. (The engine behind you and you notice it more roof down)

Patrick J Morgan

Online trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 03:40:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
In your original post, you said that were concerned that the noise was getting worse every time you started it up. I can't fault you for unloading the bike. But someone will buy it and COULD have a bad experience.

(And that is on Triumph..I didn't build it...if I did - I would tell the person who bought it - bring it back, I made a botch of it and I will put it right).

No mate - I said i was getting paranoid and would "tell myself" it was noisier. In other words I was looking for noises....I took an objective view of the bike before the final decision and took a final 300km ride with the wife. It sounded like it used to...no worse. In the confines of the shed...on the concrete after stripping it down to replace coolant, air filter and fuel balance pipe....I listened more than I would have otherwise....In retrospect - I'm pretty sure it was no worse than a year before. But with the trouble I was having manipulating it...I decided the best option was to change to the Bonnie. I just couldn't stop thinking about it all the damned time! That's all.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:52:44 AM by trade_nancy »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 04:52:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by trade_nancy [+]
Were it not for the head problem...I likely would have found a way to have stuck with it.
Anyway, moot point. Good luck with the Bonny.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 05:38:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Anyway, moot point. Good luck with the Bonny.
Thanks.....am enjoying it so far...more fun than sensible...more flickable than planted..more cool looks than luggage options....closer to the ground though and i can manage lifting it off the sidestand without my wrist giving way. Managed a tight u-turn in town today - first one for 3.5 years.
Keep up the good work cap'n..without people like yourself doing so much - people like us never get to know about issues such as this. I appreciate your work and effort...and always looked to your responses to get shortcuts to correct answers. All the best.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
These threads always make me nervous, I just had to go and check the VIN number of my 2014 Gen 1. It starts 680... so I'm hoping mine has the hard guides. On 33,000 miles at the moment.

I would not worry if I were You. Your bike is well outside the range affected and probably will still sound the same at 100,000kms.

It is such a pity that these threads keep popping up over and over (1) because some owners never bothered to follow up on the issue despite knowing their bike could possibly be affected and (2) because Triumph simply didn't do a proper recall on all affected bikes instead of leaving the matter to dealers to follow up as a service item. By now we are well aware that some dealers for whatever reason never bothered.

I had the head replaced on mine and it never gave me any anxiety thereafter.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »
I never understood the head problem and the way it turned into a mass hysteria... Rode that bike with the so called head problem for over 30K miles... it just made a ton of rattling noise - the bike never failed, never disappointed, never lost my trust...

whatever...

Like capt'n said... Enjoy the Bonnie  :028: That's all that matters.  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics

nonskid