Author Topic: Have sold the TEX  (Read 3509 times)

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Have sold the TEX
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 04:19:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
I never understood the head problem and the way it turned into a mass hysteria... Rode that bike with the so called head problem for over 30K miles... it just made a ton of rattling noise - the bike never failed, never disappointed, never lost my trust...

whatever...

Like capt'n said... Enjoy the Bonnie  :028: That's all that matters.  :821:

Want rattle? Buy an older dry clutch Ducati. I really hated to see mine go.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 04:59:07 PM
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Want rattle? Buy an older dry clutch Ducati. I really hated to see mine go.

oh man. we had one in the club - I could hear him coming from a block away. that gearbox was a work of magic - I thought it kept dis-assembling and re-assembling itself by torque on the fly... magick...
 :455:  :431:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 05:12:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
It is such a pity that these threads keep popping up over and over (1) because some owners never bothered to follow up on the issue despite knowing their bike could possibly be affected.
I think that the reality is that the majority of owners of first-generation TEXs never knew about the issue and are not members of this forum. I think that it is really the Do It Yourself oriented owner (like me) who is likely to join an owner's forum looking for pre-purchase information and (more critically) post-purchase maintenance and repair information.

Also, owners that did notice their engines getting noisier, were (and are) frequently told by their dealerships that "they all sound like that". The real fault is that many (most?) dealerships never knew (or never acknowledged that they knew) about the problem or the solutions.

I knew about the head recall before I bought my '13 TEX and it was the first thing that I asked about when I went to see the bike at the dealership after seeing an advertisement for it. I was fortunate that the dealer (now closed) had proactively done the head replacement at 500 miles before I bought it.

As an interesting side note, the dealer told me that they had sold four TEX's that year and three of them (including mine) were actually transported to another dealership to have the head replacement done (after my dealer ceased being an authorized Triumph dealership). I am not sure if all three were done proactively (without symptoms). I did confirm that the work was done on mine by contacting Triumph North American corporate directly.
Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:23:18 PM by CaptainTrips
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:57 AM
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
oh man. we had one in the club - I could hear him coming from a block away. that gearbox was a work of magic - I thought it kept dis-assembling and re-assembling itself by torque on the fly... magick...
 :455:  :431:
Same here. Have a bunch of friends who are Duc addicts.
Eventually, a French company (actually a small garage of good reputation) designed and distributed a kit that mostly corrected the noise.

Now that Ducati has become German, it won't happen again for sure ;-)

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville, NY
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 11:40:07 AM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Same here. Have a bunch of friends who are Duc addicts.
Eventually, a French company (actually a small garage of good reputation) designed and distributed a kit that mostly corrected the noise.

Now that Ducati has become German, it won't happen again for sure ;-)

Das DuKati  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 1200
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 08:17:24 PM
Hi Guys
Update.
I have traded my 2018 Bonneville T120 back to the dealer for a 2019 Tiger 1200 (entry-model) XR in white. Will be here next week. I have remained a regular and interested reader of this forum eve since selling the TEX...and could not get the regret out of my system that I no longer had the perfect-fit touring platform. I went back to see the dealer principal in December and said I was taking the Bonnie on a big tour with the missus. I had upgraded the suspension and fitted small panniers and a large Ventura Rally-II bag on back..but suspected it would maybe not be solid enough for the miles we had to do. We did 2504km over 8 days..North Island of NZ tail to tip and back.  if he could consider a chance for me to revisit the Tiger to see if I found it too big/high and "spooky" to handle. He said - give me 5 mins..and wheeled out a 2012 Gen1 TEX!! Said - take it for the weekend and give it a try. We did...so straight off the low and sweet Bonnie and back onto the long tall Texan. The trial told me I wanted it back. My broken left wing is well back to strength now..which helped..although the tight turns and in garage manoeuvering will still be an issue. So I went back to see hiim with the Bonnie this week - for a service due under warranty - now done 7,000km. Told him the Bonnie did it's best 2-up with 20+k of luggage BUT was too uncomfortable..so when a deal comes up later this year...tell me. I got a phone call an hour later - he will get me the XR and Triumph will drop another $1000 off the price and include the "FUGLY" expedition panniers for free as usual (not pleased with their bulk..but free is a good price)....and he gave me a trade price on the Bonnie which was what I expected - a hammering but not bad. The new T120 Bonnie is a little ripper of a fun bike...but limited to 2 hour day runs.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #26 on: February 14, 2020, 07:59:07 AM
What a great round trip journey of enlightenment. Yes, nothings perfect but the T12 tries!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 11:13:22 AM
*Originally Posted by trade_nancy [+]
the tight turns and in garage manoeuvering will still be an issue
Wouldn't call that an issue.
It is manageable, but as a matter of fact requires constant attention and focus. No pushing this beast around like it was a scooter ;-)

All things considered, I find it to be a very small con against the many pros ;-)

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 1200
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 07:28:13 PM
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Wouldn't call that an issue.
It is manageable, but as a matter of fact requires constant attention and focus. No pushing this beast around like it was a scooter ;-)

All things considered, I find it to be a very small con against the many pros ;-)
I agree. That was confirmed when I took the dealer's Gen1 out for the weekend. The test was more about pushing, parking and heaving it around in the garage - then it was for road riding. I was comfortable with the feel - again. Most - almost all my riding is with wife as pillion..which does add a layer of complexity to the skills needed for safe upright negotiation of u-turns, backing up into angled roadside parking etc...I just have to adapt back to how I managed it before for 3.5 years.